New Owner PDQ41

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
BoogieShoes
deckhand
deckhand

New Owner PDQ41

Post by BoogieShoes »

Greetings. As the new owners of PDQ 41 Boogie Shoes (formerly Toucan Too, Spitfire, Kudu), we just wanted to introduce ourselves and say hello. We have previously been casual viewers of the PDQ Forum. As former catamaran sailors, we are experiencing a learning curve with our first power boat.

Seeking to establish contact with other PDQ owners, particularly owners of other 41s. The most pressing need at the moment is a source of spare parts (heating element and/or thermostat) for the factory-installed Nautic brand water heater.

I understand someone has installed batteries with more capacity. I had some info about it, but seem to have misplaced it.

Lastly, I need to complete the installation of solar charging system that PO initiated. The solar panels are installed. Now I need to install charge controller and wire everything up. Suggestions about systems currently in service on other boats are welcome.

I’m sure I will have more questions as we continue learning about the boat.

Clay & Sarah Milan
PDQ 41 Boogie Shoes
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Re: New Owner PDQ41

Post by Expatriate »

Boogie Shoes,

To the best of my knowledge, only ten PDQ41's were built. So you may not have too much response on the forum from PDQ41 owners. However, parts are parts.

As to the water heater, I have never repaired one. I just replace them.

The solar panel charge controller is much easier than in the past. On my 34, I have two 36 volt panels on the flybridge bimini. They are routed to a Victron controller. Two wires from the panels, two wires to the batteries. That is it. At 36 volts, the controller can be mounted far from the panels without much of a voltage drop going in. Mounting near to the batteries is best. The Victron has has WiFi with a free downloadable app that controls everything and provides a charging history for the previous month. The controller also has LEDs on it that tell you what is going on in simple terms if you do not have the app. Victron has several models. Mine will take up to 100 volts input and put out 14.4. I have had no problems with it.

I replaced my four Trojan T145 wet batteries with Lifeline GPL-6CT 300 amp-hour 6 volt batteries. They fit right in. They are taller, but I had plenty of headroom in the battery compartment. So I have 600 amp-hours at 12 volts. In the South, with the solar panels, we can sit at anchor indefinitely without running the engines or gen set. The AGM batteries will take huge amounts of charging current without damage, don't need water, and are pretty bullet proof in terms of environment. They can even be mounted on their sides. I love them.

Tim
M/V 068 Expatriate
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hello Clay and Sara,

Welcome to the PDQ family !!

I believe your water heater is now distributed by Quick USA located in MD. I have heard from other owners that their customer service is excellent and I suspect that they have all of the parts you need.

On the subject of batteries, the suggestion Tim made is a good one and, good for us, things are changing rapidly with the progress being made on Lithium Ion batteries. I see the prices coming down rapidly and significantly and they have lots of advantages. Still expensive right now but by this time next year they may look financially attractive. AGM batteries may also see p rice reductions as the competition heats up !! Our T-145s are the old reliable standard at a very reasonable price...never a bad alternative.

On solar...Tim's recommendation again is a good one. I have an older system on our 34 that works great but the Victron unit is what I would upgrade to.

Hope you are enjoying the boat and we hope to see you at the PDQ Owners gathering in Stuart on Jan 18th.
BoogieShoes
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BoogieShoes »

Dick & Tim,

Apologies for my delay in responding. I located parts for water heater and will install them soon. On another note, upon repositioning the boat from Georgia to Jacksonville last week, the battery charger portion of the 5-year old Prosine 2.0 died. This unit has been discontinued by Xantrex, so now I must find a suitable alternative ASAP. Any suggestions on what others have replaced their dead Xantrex units with would be appreciated. My short list is Mastervolt, Magnum, Victron. Would prefer to do as little re-engineering as possible.

We are in JAX to paint bottom and detail exterior, then plan on cruising upriver to Sanford during December. I also plan on finishing up wiring the solar panels while boat is in JAX. I’m leaning toward a Victron solar charge controller, so compatibility with the new inverter/charger is a must.

At the moment we also plan to be in Ft Pierce for short time in mid-Jan to accommodate another project by James Power. Would consider bringing Boogie Shoes to PDQ owners get-together, if logistics allow.

Dick,

I recall seeing a previous story about the repair of a failed dinghy davit mount on a PDQ 41. It involved reinforcing under the coaming in the area of the failure. After looking at the area on Boogie Shoes, it appears original. Any insight on this topic.

Clay Milan
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Clay,

I used the Magnum charger/inverter. I went with a 1200 Watt model because I think 2500 is overkill. I don’t see a compatibility issue. Solar and Charger both charge the same batteries and do not “fight” each other. I just installed each one as if the other did not exist. It is possible that someone, maybe Victron, builds a charger/inverter/solar controller, but I do not like combined systems. If it dies, you lose everything.

I also installed Blue Sea Automatic Charge Relays. I have three of them: one for the house batteries, one for the start batteries, and one for the gen-set battery. I had to run a charging circuit to the gen-set battery. I think it was 6 gage.

Tim
BoogieShoes
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BoogieShoes »

Thanks Tim. I went with the MagnaSine 2800. I few extra watts plus more charging capacity. Due to the new unit’s height, Lamb’s Yacht Center had to fab a shelf and relocate the unit to the area aft of the factory-installed location. I also decided on Victron Solar charge controller with Bluetooth. It’s being installed now. I expect that we will depart the yard late next week after some other items are completed.

Clay