Painting the Boat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Painting the Boat

by AlanH » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:28 pm

I think our 2006 has been in the Florida sun since it was new and our gelcoat is beginning to wear through on the hull and front of the flybridge. I am thinking about having it painted this year.

Has anyone had there boat painted? If so any information you can provide about the yard that did it (if in Florida), type of paint, satisfaction with the job, problems, recommendations, etc. would be much appreciated. My brain says have it sprayed but there is a 75’ Lazzara near us that has been professionally rolled and tipped that looks amazing. Any thoughts on that? We live in Palm Coast but are willing to travel for the right paint job.

By the way, I did look at wraps. They are about 1/3 the price of paint and the job can be done much quicker but they will not hold up long on a Florida boat in the sun. Maybe 2-4 years.

Thanks,
Alan
AlanH
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines

Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Painting the Boat

by Spoff4 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Our 2005 is in similar need.
FYI- In 2017 we received an estimate from a painter in Tampa/St Pete that came highly recommended by one of my partners who had his trawler painted. $8000 for the topsides (fair imperfections, prime and paint white, and new non-skid). $12,000 to re-paint the hulls light blue. (A 34' cat is the "equivalent" of a 68' boat, so not cheap.)

We did not pull the trigger in 2017, but will probably do something in early 2020.
On your coast, you might reach out to American Custom Yacht on the river by I-95(?). They did some work on Tampa Girl in 2012 that we were happy with and they work on very nice boats.

Happy to compare any notes/thoughts as we go through the process.
-George
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl

AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Painting the Boat

by AlanH » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 am

George,

Thanks for the reply. I spent the last couple days going over the boat and think I am going to focus on the topsides for now and may even narrow it to the outer parts of the flybridge. I am going to begin talking to places including your suggestion. I will update when I decided something.

Alan
AlanH

Catbo

2006 34' Hull #81

75hp engines