3/4 Forespar thru hull valves

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

3/4 Forespar thru hull valves

Post by DickTuschick »

Hello to all,
Because of a failure on our boat I found out that a small number of 3/4" valves had a manufacturing defect that allowed the nut that holds the on/off handle to come loose from the housing and thus the handle falls off !! If the handle comes off in the ON position there is a moderate volume of water that leaks into the boat. It is possible to press the handle back on (with some difficulty) and close the valve. When in the closed position it does not leak. In discussion with the manufacturer I learned that they do not know how many were defective (but they think a very small number) and the only way to know for sure that you have a defective unit is when it breaks. You can test it (ideally when the boat is out of the water) by applying a slight amount of pressure to the handle at 90 degrees to the open/closed movement. If it does not pop off easily it is probably fine.....
In light of this knowledge it might be wise to keep spare valve on board...I know I will !!
The valve is a Forespar Marelon Series 93 3/4 inch valve MFG # 931153L.
Our boats have either three of four of these valves, one for each AC unit, RW wash down (if you have one) , and generator.
These valves can be changed while the boat is in the water IF you do not have a screen over the inlet on the outside of the hull. The valves come with a white plug (covers the screw that holds the handle on to the valve) that can be inserted into the inlet to stop water from entering the valve. You can then unscrew the hose and four screws holding the valve onto the base and replace it.
Any questions just give me a call anytime 772-486-2250.
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: 3/4 Forespar thru hull valves

Post by AlanH »

Dick,

Do you happen to know the part number for our engine raw water valves? One of mine dribbles if I open it completely so I am planning to rebuild it or replace if necessary.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

I’d like to carry an extra valve as you suggest, but where can I find one? I only find the part number you mention available on the Forespar website and it says it’s an OEM Sales item only. Admittedly I haven’t called them, but is there another source?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I called Forespar about my leaky valve addressed in my last post (not the same issue as Dick). Forespar was very helpful. One of my engine raw water through hull valves was leaking from the handle area when fully opened. Partially and fully shut it would stop. It is a 1" valve. They sent me five repair kits at no charge. Each kit fits two sizes of valve. They sent three 1 to 1.25 inch kits, a 1/2 to 3/4 inch kit and a 1.5 to 2 inch kit. Each kit contains two o-rings (needed for my issue), a replacement screw for the handle, two square gaskets and some lubricant. I only needed the o-rings and lube. It was a very easy repair slightly complicated because PDQ installed the valves upside down.

I am not sure if this relates to Dick's problem with the handle falling off but the new screw they sent is different than the original. The original is a threaded screw designed to go in to the matching threaded valve. The new screw is a slightly larger self tapping screw. I chose to stick with the original because it would be difficult to screw in the self tapping screw with the limited access due to the valve being near the floor upside down in our boats. If you did use it I don't think it would ever loosen on its own.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

The handle of the raw water intake valve for port motor has been broken off. It’s in on position and I can switch it on and off with pliers, but need to replace. Tough to identify part #. Does anyone know size, manufacturer and part # for this valve? I see question asked before, but don’t see answer. Thank you for any info.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66