Boat Insurance

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
makala
skipper
skipper

Re: Boat Insurance

Post by makala »

I just renewed with geico. My agent was wrongly told they wouldn’t cover Bahamas during hurricane season but that is not the case! We will just need to call them with our travel dates and we are good.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Is anyone hearing anything on the Florida boat insurance market? I've been hearing that Geico is not renewing policies and/or raising rates. A newer PDQ owner says he went thru a broker and the best rate they found was Progressive at about $4500 per year.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we renewed with gieco but not thru agent. price was roughly the same.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

We are in Florida and have Geico and are at $2800/yr. Talk directly to a Geico agent and you shouldn't have a problem- have them look at other PDQ rates in the state. When we first got quotes they thought we were a "high power" catamaran and quoted us a much higher rate- Then they realized these are cruising cats with relatively low HP engines. I think they are raising rates and possibly not covering the go-fast boats with triple/quad outboard engines which run at much higher speeds and theft of the outboards and boats themselves have been a very big problem in Florida. Its hard to remove the Yanmars out of our boats and they are too slow for a thief to take the whole boat :P !!!
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Alan,
Is the reduce rates because of the docking system?

Dennis & Cindy Hull 95
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi Dennis - I'll answer on behalf of my cousin Alan -

He gets a good discount for the combination of his location - very protected in Palm Coast - and for his Slide-moor system, which is pretty slick.

When I moved Easy Riders' home dock from Madeira Beach, FL to Branford, FL up the Suwanee River, my rate decreased a little with Geico.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade