Flotation

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Flotation

Post by dstrecker1 »

Does anyone know if a PDQ 34 will sink or is there enough flotation in the core to maintain bouyancy?
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Flotation

Post by duetto »

hi,

as i recall there was a 34 which got caught in a hurricane and "sank". it floated with the cabin structure partly above the water. if you search this forum the pics may still be out there.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Couldn't find the post on the hurricane. Maybe someone else recalls the incident.
Dennis
Hull 95
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I don't have any direct recall or the incident. In 2019 I did run across what I suspect is the boat John is referring to. It was on the hard at a marina in Port Canaveral. The marina said it went down in the slip in a hurricane, I think it was Matthew. I am not sure how far under it went. It was not going to be repaired. It was called Kids Again. Looked like it had a hastily repaired hole in the starboard hull when I saw it.

Alan
IMG_7512.jpeg
IMG_7514.jpeg
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Corkboulder
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Corkboulder »

Can confirm that boat (Kids Again) is still at Cape Marina in Port Canaveral, has been for years.
Kelly C
Bahama Voyager
MV32 #004
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi kelly,

do you know the history of it? is it for sale?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Corkboulder
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Corkboulder »

John I don’t know what the story is with it, I’ve driven by it a hundred times now over the last few years and my wife is tired of me pointing it out “Still there!”.

At one point it had a large sign or notice stuck on the side of the hull, most recently I noted apparent repairs on the starboard side - gray painted spot repairs above the water line, props off and the plexiglass windscreen removed. So I expect it will be back in the water again.
Kelly C
Bahama Voyager
MV32 #004