Bridge Closure on ICW?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Bridge Closure on ICW?

Post by bjgin »

We are currently on the ICW in Virginia, heading south. Frequently throughout the last several days on Channel 16, the Coast Guard has made announcements about a bridge closure and to go to Channel 22A for more details. We go to Channel 22A but they talk so fast we cannot make out exactly what they are saying except "The bridge at __?___ Island will be closed indefinitely for vessel traffic". We don't know which bridge they are talking about. Does anyone have any info about that? We'll have to go on the outside to avoid a bridge closure, but we don't know where that is.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Bridge Closure on ICW?

Post by James Power »

Hey Bjgin,

Suggest a call on 16 to the local coast guard detachment to verify the location, duration and details. After 4 decades on the icw we have noticed its not an uncommon occurrence.

Safe travels
James
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Bridge Closure on ICW?

Post by AlanH »

I get an update on anything affecting the ICW every couple of weeks from BoatUS. It is called: BOATUS EAST COAST ALERTS. It is free for BoatUS members but you do have to sign up for it.

I find it very helpful for finding out about things that are not on the charts. I went through and found work on 5 bridges from the Willoughby Bay Bridge near the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel in Norfolk to the Pungo Ferry Bridge about 2 miles from North Carolina. None of the work will affect your travel. You may see some of it being done but there will be no impact on navigation. If anyone would like to see what they send out, email me and I will forward the June 25th update. alan55hendry@gmail.com

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines