Hull - Dent Deflection Depression Dimple - and Fender Placement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Hull - Dent Deflection Depression Dimple - and Fender Placement

Post by MikeH »

Easy Riders has a couple of small depressions in the outside starboard hull, near the waterline. I had thought that they were areas where maybe someone had got a little aggressive with polishing or compounding ... but now that she's out of the water and I've got a close look, they look like they could be impressions left by a bottom of a fender, like if the boat was pinned against a floating dock. There does not appear to be any damage to the gelcoat.

I know that the hulls are thin - does anyone have similar dimples? Or larger ones?

Any advice on fender placement? I've been using 26 x 10's, slightly under-inflated to provide more surface area, and 12" round, also slightly under-inflated.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Hull - Dent Deflection Depression Dimple - and Fender Placement

Post by duetto »

hi,

when we bought duetto it had a similar dimple on the hull side. remember the hull is cored with corecell which compresses and doesn't necessarily bounce back. we were given 2 options: 1) try to gently heat the area and "hope" the corecell expands. corecell confirmed this was an option. 2) take it to the "body shop" and apply bondo. we picked the second choice and had it done at stuart boat works. they did a perfect job and you still can't see it 17 years later.

on the fenders issue. since we operate in fl/bahamas with mostly fixed docks we switched to flat fender boards. we have 4 which we use 2 together at 2 places. i have made short lines with dowels that go thru toe rail. flat fenders stay in place when tied to pilings.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

My boat also has a coupld of these depressions. I had our boatyard hull/bottom guys evaluate them a few years ago and their conclusions was: a) they are typical cosmetic layup issues and nothing to worry about; and b) the tiny gelcoat cracks are normal and there is no real need to fix them; c) only fix them if you don't like the cosmetic aspect. So, we chose to not do anything.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

We have several about the size of a large lemon where something between the hull and dock crushed the core slightly. They are quite noticeable in the right lighting but we have elected not to fix them.

We have been beat up pretty badly against docks over the years and our 12 inch cylindrical fenders never left any permanent marks.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

We have a couple of dimples on the starboard side also. Our boat has spent its life in Florida and the gelcoat was getting a little tired and very thin on the flybridge. We had the entire boat painted almost two years ago and had a discussion with the yard about them during the planning. Although they could fix them, their view was don't bother. We didn't fix them.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thank you everyone for the info !!
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

I suspect those dimples and creases are not from fenders but rather docks. We had a crease fixed with bondo and painted and you couldn’t see a thing. Of course, next season I had current push me to the dock as I left near Hilton Head and presto, another small dimple. Sigh! Gonna live with this one, but important to first ensure no gel coat damage that risks water intrusion to core.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66