Genset exhaust hose angle

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Genset exhaust hose angle

Post by Ortolan »

In studying the setup of my Northern Lights genset (planning some maintenance this summer), I wonder how to improve the angle of the exhaust hose. From the exhaust elbow to the lift muffler, the hose should be at a constant 1/2”+ per foot angle downward. However, due to the exhaust elbow discharging “the wrong way” (to the aft), the exhaust hose is about 2’ longer than it could be & tends to sag causing a bit of up & down path for the exhaust water.

I’ve thought of a few fixes:
- Replacing the exhaust elbow with a new SS one & have an elbow welded to it (to eliminate the extra hose length & make a better/constant angle for the shorter exhaust hose).
- Make some sort of framework to fasten the hose to (eliminating the ups & downs).

Any thoughts?
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Re: Genset exhaust hose angle

Post by MikeH »

Hi Russ -

I had looked at this recently, and couldn't figure out how to get there without gluing brackets to the side of the hull, or doing a custom exhaust elbow. So I just did the standard elbow and flopped the hose in to match the way it was when I got the boat.

I'll be doing something with the genset next year, so please let me know if you have additional ideas.

Sorry about the photo quality !
Attachments
20220217_123358.jpg
20220217_123328.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Thanks Mike.

I found a shop who will custom-make a stainless steel 140-degree elbow which would be about the perfect angle for a straight shot to the lift muffler. Otherwise I might simply attach a 2” x 4” board to the inside of the hull at the proper angle & firmly clamp the hose to it. I’ll post pics when I get it done.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks Russ !!
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL