Yanmar Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Yanmar Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement

Post by MikeH »

I got in a hurry today and broke some stuff and spent a lot of money - so here's how not to do it:

My port engine coolant expansion tank had a slow drip, which I've done a great job of ignoring. The boatyard work is wrapping up and we're getting ready for sea trial Monday morning ... and, damn if the leak did not worsen considerably overnight.

Conveniently, the tank still had it's original sticker with the Yanmar part number on it ... except the part number on the sticker is for the sticker itself, not the tank ($4.17 each at Mastry Engine Center, should you need the sticker.)

Fortunately, Mastry had the tank in stock (what a relief !) ... at $106.73 plus tax (Part Number 720445-44200). I briefly considered modifying a small milk jug to use as the tank...On the upside, the new tank is very clean and shiny, and comes with a new shiny bracket and lid, and even includes the new sticker. (There must be a reasonably priced equivalent tank out there somewhere.) (The photo is the original tank.)

Back at the boat, I was very excited to remove the old rusty bracket. The mounting screws were stuck, so I pushed hard on the screwdriver, whereupon a loud "snap" let me know that there is no support behind the little board that the bracket attaches to ..., so be sure and grab the bottom of the little board before you exert any pressure on the screws.
Attachments
20220311_121635.jpg
20220311_121921.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Yanmar Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement

Post by duetto »

6 hulls apart but we didn't get no stinkin' 12v outlet :)
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
PDQfan
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Yanmar Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement

Post by PDQfan »

I think you got a deal. I just replaced mine and think shipped cost was at least $150. I tried sealer ( no luck) as well as trying to find a suitable replacement but could not. I was worried that it might need to he mounted at a certain height with a certain depth as I read that coolant is pushed out and also vacuumed back in. Ultimately I just wanted the damn thing fixed so I finally took the easy route after fiddling for days.

Btw, I did not touch the bracket for that very reason. Wanted to install that new, shiny one, but went with the "if it ain't broke" reasoning..
Bryan & Lori
"Island Time"
'05 MV 34 #74 100hp