Dry Bilge

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Dry Bilge

Post by Nick »

Thought I’d start a new thread on topic of water in bilge. Good to hear a little leakage is normal. We have Tides seals and I’ve monitored the drip while underway. We get nothing when running at 7 knots, but cruising at about 14 knots yields a steady drip and about a gallon of water after four hours of running. We have had everything aligned and have the intermediary shaft bearings, I guess it is what it is!
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Dry Bilge

Post by AMCarter3 »

Nick, what’s you describe sounds excessive for water leakage to me. We have PSS “dripless” shaft seals. One has almost no water leakage at all.. to the point where I thought it might be set too tight. We’ve had it triple checked.

The other PSS shaft leaks what I’ve learned is a normal amount.. about 1 oz every few days. It is literally a very fine spray, not a dripping. And it never accumulates to more than a cup or 2 over a month of activity.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

as i've said elsewhere the tides seals are less tolerant to any problem. the problem with tides is that as a lip seal it has to stay perpendicular to the shaft. once it gets out of alignment the seal starts to wear unevenly and you get a leak. since nick has had all the "things" done, there must be another variable. the behaviour nick describes was exactly what we had on the starboard side when we had tides but none of the mods. we switched to pss before we had the mods made.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thanks for comments. I’m thinking this is too much water also. Had a similar issue on port side and turned out to be scoring on the shaft that impacted seal. Installed new shafts of better steel and all good. Now starboard. The fact it’s fine at low rpm says to me it’s an alignment issue. We’ve been in some rougher water where I’ve has some cavitation on that side, but can’t really imagine that would do it. Will soon be leaving boat at Atlantic Yacht Basin for an extended period and get all checked. I debated PSS seals at time of shaft change but opted to stick with Tides for simplicity.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66