Impeller or the whole pump? (If you have spares)

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
SeaCaper
deckhand
deckhand

Impeller or the whole pump? (If you have spares)

Post by SeaCaper »

Hello,

First time post from relatively new owners of Abeamus, (formerly Abbotsford III, Traveler, originally Basis Points). After a bit over 1000 miles (Stuart – Kemah, TX) I get why there is such a strong following for PDQs. It’s incredibly comfortable, fuel efficient, and forgiving; it also handles very well when you get caught in a pop-up storm or your weather window collapses.

Going through the boat inventory I found two spare raw water pumps that look like they need a rebuild and that’s where my question comes from. Does anyone just replace the entire pump and replace the impeller later? The impeller itself compresses considerably and I’m concern about the rubber sticking in that position after sitting for a few months, maybe a year, and impacting performance.
Andrew
'Abeamus' - MV 34
Hull - 041 - 75HP
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Impeller or the whole pump? (If you have spares)

Post by duetto »

hi,

i have replaced the impellers a few times but never the whole pump. i think that you have to remove the motor mount to remove and replace the pump. i don't know if you know, but the newer impellers come with a threaded hub which allows you to use a jabsco puller for easier removal. not sure if the impeller blades developing a set is an issue. once installed i think they develop the same set. as far as sticking, get some jabsco impeller grease or dawn detergent and lube them.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John, could you clarify how you actually change the impeller? By that, I mean... how to do actually reach and remove the impeller? Are you actually able to reach back there with one hand and blindly remove screws & cover, remove the old impeller, insert the new impeller and replace the cover and screws? I have to hire someone smaller, more flexible and has the tools to do it.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

We replace the impeller, no need for a new pump unless there are other issues.

I find removing the alternator/generator helps a lot for access. You can reach around get to the impeller cover screws and pull the impeller out. Dont forget to turn off battery switch and combiner before removing generator.

Go to Home Depot/Lowes and get a 3/4" bolt to pull and install the impeller, see here (bring an impeller to the store to ensure it engages):

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2325&p=15959&hilit=bolt#p15959

Mac- as a side note our NovaKool bit the dust following a trip to the Bahamas so I will be installing an Isotherm Cruise 200 in the next week or so!!

Hope that helps!
Doug
MV 34 #102
SeaCaper
deckhand
deckhand

Post by SeaCaper »

Thanks everyone, looks like the best course is to keep the rebuilt pumps handy as spares. I'll be heading to HD to pick up that handy puller soon!
Andrew
'Abeamus' - MV 34
Hull - 041 - 75HP
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi mac,

unlike doug i've never removed the alternator. i do loosen it and move in. there are 2 types of impellers: 1) old, no thread. you have to use a small 2 jaw puller or pliers. i have mostly done this one using the puller. 2) new, has threaded hub. on these you can either buy the jabsco puller or use a bolt as doug suggests. i've removed one impeller using the puller and it was a piece of cake.

as to reaching it, yes, i just reached around but i have replaced the tiny screw/bolts with allen screws. they have 2 advantages: 1) you can use an allen bit on a ratchet extension and 2) they are easier to grip or put on said allen bit to start the threading. the final thing i have is i made a "compressor" from pvc pipe. i lube the impeller and pvc, then insert impeller in pvc. it's ready to slide into the pump cavity and onto pump shaft with minimal problems.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi guys,

sorry i missed this in my editing: we have the first generation of boat which has minimal no fiberglass around the front of the engine, so access is not a problem.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Duetto- I like the idea of allen cap screws, that would make it a lot easier! Next time I replace an impeller I am going to switch to them. The hex head bolts have a thin profile head and make it very difficult.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

one last suggestion to make this job fast & easy

get a 1/4" thumbwheel ratchet from harbor freight. the combination of the allen screws, 1/4" allen sockets, and the thumbwheel will make this job a lot easier.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Hello Andrew,

Where in Kemah are you keeping your boat? We were in Waterford Harbor for '14 and '15. We live near Ft Worth. I know your boat fairly well, great choice.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
SeaCaper
deckhand
deckhand

Post by SeaCaper »

Legacy Point for now, will likely start looking for something with a cover soon.

Thanks for the notes everyone, most helpful. I did remove the top alternator bolt to swing it in a bit more and that really helped.
Andrew
'Abeamus' - MV 34
Hull - 041 - 75HP