BougeRV Portable Freezer

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjgin
skipper
skipper

BougeRV Portable Freezer

Post by bjgin »

Many of us ordered the BougeRV portable freezer in January at the PDQ Owners Gathering. How has it worked for you? For us the freezing has
not been good. Example... On the bottom of the freezer I had some pork chops. Right beside it was a freezer bag of spaghetti sauce I had made. After a few months in the freezer, the spaghetti sauce was solid as a rock. But the pork chops that were right beside it, were not frozen AT ALL. I, of course, threw the pork chops out. So it seems there are dead spots in the freezer that don't work at all. Has anyone else had these issues?
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Re: BougeRV Portable Freezer

Post by DickTuschick »

We were one of the first PDQ’s to get the Bourgerv and have used it extensively over the last year.
Our first unit stoped working after about 5 hours and upon notifying the company we had a new unit in hand three days later….outstanding service. Since then the unit has been absolutely 100%. Low amp draw and holds temp at 17 degrees after only a couple of hours. Recommend you contact the company and see what they have to say.
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Post by chrishead »

We haven't put ours into service yet. But in testing empty it reached the advertised coldest temperature. The price has now dropped below $200. No affiliation or compensation, or whatever disclaimer is needed here. Just a PSA. https://a.co/d/0P1z13v
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Post by chrishead »

Update: The price is now back above $200. However, I can tell you that I had it as a saved item in my Amazon account for several months. One day I received a notification that if I ordered in the next 24 hours the price was significantly reduced. Much like leaving a store web site with items in your shopping cart. They all seem to email you, "Did you forget something in your cart?" while offering you a coupon.
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

I installed the Bouge in January, and it has worked great. I ran a separate 12v circuit up to the flybridge with 12 ga wire. If the voltage indicator on the Bouge is correct, I'm getting a voltage drop of 0.5 to 0.75. So I would recommend using 10 ga wire. I compensated by setting the low voltage cut-out on the Bouge to the lowest setting.

Since Hull #29 has the open flybridge design, I bought the insulated cover, which has tie-down eyes, and used bungee cords to secure it to the rails on the starboard side of the flybridge.

It did seem to use a little more power than I expected - I was having to charge batteries every 3 to 4 days ... looks like it's time to upgrade the solar panels.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

My Bouge RV Freezer had been stored in the bow locker for about 8 months. I fired it up to test it, and sure enough got an (E2?) error on the fan.

It was still under warranty. I emailed Bouge on Amazon. The good news was that they shipped a new fan immediately, and the bad news was that it was shipping from China. It took about 3 weeks to arrive.

To install: remove the three machine screws on the bottom of the freezer. The case will "snap out", but it takes some force. You'll see the fan mounting screws - mine were stuck. You'll need an extra-thin Phillips head screwdriver. I used pliers to get extra leverage on the screwdriver. Un-plug the wires, take care to note the position of the positive and negative wires, and install the new fan. When re-installing the cover, it was a little tricky to get the side splines lined up correcly, but it eventually "snapped in".

The freezer has been running for a day, and all appears normal, so far.
Attachments
1000004346.jpg
1000004344.jpg
1000004345.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade