Pulling Bundles part II - Seals and goo

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
SeaCaper
deckhand
deckhand

Pulling Bundles part II - Seals and goo

Post by SeaCaper »

Abeamus started running hot in the warm waters of Galveston Bay and I'm certain if I let her run for 15-20 minutes on plane @ 3400ish the port engine would alarm. I don't like to test those limits and my temp gun was saying the temp rise wasn't close to what it should be. Both engines ran at what I think is hot and I know of the 75HP Yanmars are not dialed in right things get off.

So I pulled cores this weekend and found a few things, looks to be some AF/Dexcool buildup, some of the black goo folks talk about, the port side center gasket was skewed on previous install, all easily addressed at the radiator shop and proper reinstallation. Nothing that bad, but some build up is clearly there and with the port side gasket partially out of place it all makes sense.

My question comes about the proper gasket, I see an o-ring with a snip to fit center, then an o-ring with a second flat gasket in the manual. The flat gasket came out, but I'm wondering if this is an either or situation, if I'm missing something in the manual, or if the right gasket was used last time since it was crooked.

Any thoughts on how to find the proper gasket?
Screenshot 2022-09-27 080609.jpg
Andrew
'Abeamus' - MV 34
Hull - 041 - 75HP
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Pulling Bundles part II - Seals and goo

Post by duetto »

hi,

i did this a couple of times a ways back. as i recall there was only a tapered o-ring which made the seal. trick was to get the o-ring to stay in place while you line up the correct orientation of the core with the end caps.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SeaCaper
deckhand
deckhand

Post by SeaCaper »

Thanks John,

Appreciate the advice, did you go with the o-ring and the flat gasket (circle middle seal), or the o-ring and the thicker center gasket you clip off. I ordered both!

Bundles are back from the radiator shop and all clean, just need to get back down to the boat to install and take her out for a run. Once you get used to working around the engine compartment the Yanmars are really straight forward.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew
'Abeamus' - MV 34
Hull - 041 - 75HP
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi andrew,

to be honest it was a long time ago. i just remember the tapered o-ring, so i'm guessing they made 2 versions and our boat had the version in the lower diagram. what did you remove when you disassembled?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SeaCaper
deckhand
deckhand

Post by SeaCaper »

The version on the top came out and that's what I will end up putting back in if I don't find documentation that indicates different. The only reason I questioned the thin gasket was it was rotated about 10 or so degrees.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew
'Abeamus' - MV 34
Hull - 041 - 75HP
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

go with what you took out. i'd orient the gasket to line up with the "bridge" on the stern cap, if that's the issue with the 10 degrees.

good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23