Oil Cooler End Cap Connector Rubber Coupling

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Oil Cooler End Cap Connector Rubber Coupling

Post by MikeH »

This little rubber connector failed underway yesterday, and I did not spot it. It filled the engine sump with water, and the diapers were floating on top of the water, so when I looked down, I saw the diaper and everything looked ok. But, later in the day, the water level rose and something (maybe the shaft coupler) started grabbing water and throwing it all over the place. It was a mess.

It's a Bowman 3367, and I've reached out to a distributor Tradewinds Power in Miami (looks like Perkins Power in Jacksonville has closed), and The Heat Exchanger Shop in Mass.

It looks like Yanmar # 129670-49030, except the diagram of the part looks like a uniform size, not different size at each end. I've reached out to Atlantic Yacht Basin - the Yanmar dealer closest to Coinjock, where I'm tied up for the next couple of days for weather and eating all the prime rib I can force down.

The connector has a small split. If the parts are a long way off, I might try gluing it, wrapping it in duct tape, and putting it back on.

Any other suggestion ?
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Re: Oil Cooler End Cap Connector Rubber Coupling

Post by MikeH »

I struck out on finding stock in the USA. I ordered from the UK:

Adam Ball
Distribution & Procurement Manager

Whatsapp: +44 (0)7572 898442
Phone: +44 (0)1273 411765
Email: adam@lancingmarine.com

Lancing Marine
51 Victoria road
Portslade,Sussex BN41 1XY

www.lancingmarine.com

Adam was very helpful. I placed the order by email in just a few minutes with my credit card.

The parts are about $25 US. I ordered 4 so I have spares. ... we'll see what the DHL bill is to get them here.

Here's more info:

It's not a Yanmar Part. Both 129670-49030 and 129672-49020 are straight hoses, same size both ends.

Bowman is down to one marine distributor in the US: Tradewinds Power in Miami 800-223-3289. No stock, quoted about 5 weeks for delivery.

I called Perkins Power in Jacksonville. The shop is closed, but Jay stall has the phone number and works out of his house for Tradewinds. He said the real delivery time is closer to 10 to 12 weeks.

Yacht Power Products in St Pete had a recording that they were closed for the storm, but would re-open soon.
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

mike,

i have spares on boat but it's in stuart and we won't be there for another month. let me know if you haven't gotten by then.

just a thought. could could cobble together a short piece of hose to go over cooler end then a piece of pvc, pvc end cap, pvc reducer then straight hose to pump/pipe?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks John - I appreciate the spares offer !

Great minds think alike - I'm working on a Frankenstein approach as a back-up. Also have the old part glued back together - waiting for it to set before doing the duct tape wrap.

Hopefully the new ones make it in reasonable time.
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Lancing Marine's customer service has been outstanding, and it could not have been easier to order from them.

When Adam quoted "about $25 USD each for 4" I did not realize that he had included Fedex shipping charges. This worked out to the same as I was quoted by Tradewinds - $22 each plus shipping.

Here's the invoice, and they set up email notifications from Fedex that email me each time the package moves:
Attachments
James M Hendry 21742.pdf
(214.4 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Following up on this - I ordered the parts Monday late afternoon. Tuesday morning at 10:30 am UK time, FedEx picked them up in a little town 50 miles south of London. They delivered to Coinjock at 2:00 pm Wednesday. The FedEx guys are earning their money !

I can see now why the part failed - the piping around the oil cooler is a little catawaumpus, which puts a strain on the fittings. Same on the port engine. Also, the piping touches the exhaust hose - I just replaced the hoses, and the piping has already worn down a spot on the hose.
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Mike- Thanks for the helpful info.

Just a heads up, I was able to find the Bowman 3367 for $34.67 here: