Kobelt/Felstad Control Cables

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Kobelt/Felstad Control Cables

Post by jgonnerman »

Does anyone know the lengths of the control cables of the 2002 year 34? In that year the upper station was biased toward the starboard side of the boat almost to the edge of the fly bridge.
I think it will be easier to attach replacement cables to the old to rerun the new cables versus remove measure and replace. The most critical on a replacement basis for my boat are the 4 upper/remote to the primary control. These are pull-pull cables and I'm guessing in the 23-26 foot range. It seems the port engine cables might be a foot shorter than the starboard side.

Also if anyone has done this what brand and type of cable did you use other than the Felstadt. I live in San Diego and Kobelt has a dealer in the area.

I should probably have replaced mine sooner than now. I had a threaded end of the upper cable break in a crowed anchorage. My boat may run a straight course when there is flow at 5+ knots over the rudder but at zero speed it was exciting.

Thanks
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Kobelt/Felstad Control Cables

Post by duetto »

james power might be the best short of someone who did this with v1 flybridge.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Kobelt/Felstad Control Cables

Post by James Power »

Hey John,

I use Felsted 47-34 cables, 47 series and 34 foot length. Not sure if the lengths changed over the years, but there should be identification markings at one end of the cables to confirm. Fishing one cable thru at a time with the original is easier and helps with not mixing anything up. These cables do not like tight S bends, like the routing at the port ceiling. Anything to ease the bend here is helpful.
Have a look at the bronze Camel Clamps that secure the cable ends to the shift body. They are prone to cracking. Using new stainless fasteners on the clamps, cleaned to remove any oil, and a dab of Loc-Tite should keep all secure.

Hope this helps
James