hand rail repair

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

hand rail repair

Post by Lyons Pride »

looking for information on how to remove the port side bow hand rail as it was damaged during the storm.....it appears to have seems but i am not sure how it was assembled and hopefully don't have to remove the whole forward rail to get it fixed as a new support bar needs to be welded and potentially have the rest bent back to its original form.
thanks for any input.

Kip
Attachments
20221010_185629.jpg
20221010_185730.jpg
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: hand rail repair

Post by duetto »

years ago we had a side rail collapse. we were in bahamas and i thought it would be a case of "toughing it out" until we returned to the us. a local suggested that we talk to the local welder, which i did. he said if we could loosen the rail enough to get a sleeve in it would make it easier. we did that and the weld job is seamless.

i can't tell you how to get things apart but if you get the right welder you'll never know it was damaged.

good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: hand rail repair

Post by duetto »

after looking at the picture more closely, you can get at the backing on the portside side stanchion from inside the bow locker. a marine welder will be able to fabricate a new bow curve and butt weld into the existing bow rail. some straightening will probably be required but imho doable.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23