CONVERSION TO LITHIUM BATTERY

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjgin
skipper
skipper

CONVERSION TO LITHIUM BATTERY

Post by bjgin »

We converted our PDQ 34 from AGM batteries to a LiFePO4 battery. We have a 3,000W/150A inverter charger. We have two 60A DC to DC chargers for engine alternator isolators, plus 1000W of high efficiency solar with MPPT controllers. We're using a 400 amp hour LiFePO4 battery. The battery we're using weighs about 86 lbs., which replaces 344 lbs. of AGM batteries. The conversion was a lot of work but well worth it... very happy with the results. We'll be at the PDQ Owners Gathering this month if anyone wants more details.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
brian.webb
deckhand
deckhand

Re: CONVERSION TO LITHIUM BATTERY

Post by brian.webb »

Hello BJ, thanks for posting this. I'm definitely going to follow your lead. Did you get all Victron components to do this? If you recall the part numbers that would be great and/or any pictures of your setup. Especially interested in the battery.

Thanks again,
Brian
Flip Turn - 2006 PDQ 34
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi BJ !

I'm planning a solar upgrade to switch to Bifacial Panels on Easy Riders and was considering a Lithium conversion also.

Other than your alternator isolators, were there any other components that you installed - anything special to handle the combiner or starting batteries?

Do the MPPT's feed directly to your house battery?
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

We're looking to do the same lithium conversion. Maybe we can have someone come in to advise all of us at the same time?
Josh + Karen + Dutch
SCOUT, Toronto ON, Canada
2004 PDQ MV/34
Hull #035
brian.webb
deckhand
deckhand

Post by brian.webb »

At this rate we may be able to get a discount for doing 6 boats at once, haha! I'm looking for the same. There's a place in Fort Lauderdale, eMarine Inc that does the electrical design and sells the parts. Pretty good prices. It's up to us to find the installer.
https://www.emarineinc.com/
Flip Turn - 2006 PDQ 34
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

I am in the process of converting to LiFePO4 batteries. I bought two Victron DC to DC chargers for the engines alternator. I am looking for a place to mount the Victrons. The most convenience location is on the interior of the helm station along with the rest of the electronics and electrical equipment, however I am concern with dissipating the 45 watts of heat generated by each when the engines are running. Has anyone experienced a problem with heat using them inside the helm station?

Dennis and Cindy Strecker
Hull 95
welby
deckhand
deckhand

Post by welby »

Please include us as you're looking at possible discounts/designs or creating parts lists! Going Lithium is on our "let's explore that idea" list and we'd love to see and hear what others are doing. We've read about the costs, but saving a couple hundred pounds and getting some better energy performance is definitely worth considering.
Purring Along
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Purring Along »

Let me know if we end up doing a group buy. Lithium is also on my list when I get back to Florida.
-Lars
M/V #52
100 HP 4 Blade prop
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

The conversion is pretty straight forward. I just received the batteries. I am using two 12 volt SOK marine 206 Ah batteries. I bought the batteries from Current Connect. With shipping they came to $1500 for both. The ad I read said that the battery cells are UL1973. The batteries can be disassembled and indivi
Last edited by dstrecker1 on Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

The conversion is pretty straight forward. I just received the batteries. I am using two 12 volt SOK marine 206 Ah batteries. I bought the batteries from Current Connect. With shipping they came to $1500 for both. The ad I read said that the battery cells meet UL1973. The batteries can be disassembled and individual components replaced. They can’t be used for engine starting as is common for LiFePO batteries. I also purchased two Victron 12/12-30 Amp, non isolated battery to battery chargers. They are $215 each on Amazon. I also purchased a Blue Seas battery switch for dual circuits with both off, both on and all combine positions. The Blue Sea switch has 3/8” posts. I believe the Blue Sea Switch was $44 fro Amazon. The lines from the engine batteries are designed for 5/16” lugs. Seeing that there was no difference in the width of 3/8” cable ends and 5/16” ends I decided to just drill out the existing cable ends to 3/8”. I used a heavy set of vice grips to secure the cable ends when I drilled them. You will need #6 battery cables to do all the connections to the Victrons and to the bus bars on the boat for both the - and + . I also used two Blue Seas fuse holder one on the output to each of the terminals Victrons. The fuse holders go from a 3/8” lug to a 5/16” lug. So all of the #6 wiring is 5/16”. The lugs on the bus bars are 5/16”. I will send picture of the installation tomorrow.

You will need to reset your existing battery charger/inverter for LiFePo batteries. Most chargers have a custom setting that you will be able to use with the proper inputs. Forgot to mention, I removed the Pathmaker and replaced it with the Blue Sea Switch.

Does anyone know if the 100 hp engines have a smart alternator or conventional ? I need that info for setting the Victrons. The Victrons uses a Bluetooth app for the settings, The BlueTooth code they want you to use is on the box that the Victron came in. It is a 6 digit PIN number. Nowhere do they tell you where to find it. It took me about an hour to figure it out. Hope this saves you time.

Dennis Strecker
Hull 95
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

The small orange wires labeled VO2 and VO3 boat wiring of the Path Maker is wired to on the Blue Sea switch for reading the voltage of the engine batteries. VO1 boat wiring is connected to the + Bus for reading the house battery voltage. The small boat's black wire on the Path Maker can be discarded and is not needed in this installation. The Victron battery to battery chargers has a built-in switch which only operates the chargers when the engine alternator is producing a charge. I will only be able to charge my engine battery when my engine is running using the alternator on the engine. I don't see this as a problem unless I don't use the boat for 5 or 6 months. A charger can be added to the starter batteries, but you would need to turn the Blue Sea Switch to OFF when using it otherwise the Victron will think the engine is running and the engine battery charger will then start charging the house batteries through the Victron. When I mounted the Victrons I had to add a piece of plywood to the side wall of the helm stand because the units are heavy. I also added two aluminum channels to the plywood and mounted the Victrons to them. The instruction that comes with the Victrons warns against mounting directly to a flammable material.

There is one thing I would like to mention about the SOK batteries. The batteries may not initially take a charge from your boat charger. Initially to get them to take a charge you need to wake up the battery by putting 12V across the battery or charger terminals. This is because the batteries may show 0 voltage and the charger will think that it is not connected to a battery and will not turn on. (This may have more to do with the BMS in the battery than the cells.) After the initial charge I understand this is not an issue. I don't think this will be an issue on the PDQ because when I disconnected the house batteries for replacement, I still got 12V from my charger when I plugged in at the dock or when running the generator.
Attachments
IMG_3837(1).jpg
IMG_3838(1).jpg
IMG_3835(1).jpg
IMG_3836(1).jpg
IMG_3834(1).jpg
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

I am in the process of installing the batteries. The battery compartment has a 2X2 grid where the old 6-volt batteries sat. I originally thought I would need to modify the base for the new batteries because the mfg. specs just gave overall dimensions. (The top being bigger than the bottom with handles and a flanged type led.) However, when I pulled the new batteries out of the box and measured the base it was about 1/16' shorter in both directions than the grid in the battery compartment. The two new SOK batteries will fit perfectly without modifications in two of the four spaces for the old batteries and there will be space for two additional batteries if needed. When I complete the installation in the battery compartment, I will forward a picture.

Dennis, Hull 95
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Attached is a picture of the 206 Ah SOK battery in the battery compartment. The parallel wiring will be 1.5'- #6 cables with 5/16" terminals. Each battery will have a 150-amp fuse. The wiring and fuses were recommended by SOK. I ordered both from Amazon. To add a second set of batteries I would need to remove a handle on one set or install the second set at 1"-1.5" higher than the first set. I also ordered hold down straps from Amazon with Stainless Steel hardware. Hopefully, I will have them hooked up shortly after getting the materials from Amazon.
Dennis Hull 95
Attachments
IMG_3839.jpg