sliding screens

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

sliding screens

Post by duetto »

hi all,

i'm in the process of re-screening the sliding side screens. i did this before about 10 years ago and it wasn't easy then either.

anyone have any tips on how to get screen out (i have already removed the plastic u-shaped inserts) and just as importantly back in? i've noticed that there is no flex in the frame.

thanks in advance
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: sliding screens

Post by duetto »

just completed this. it was every bit as difficult as the first time. the raised rail that the screen rides on is about 1/16" too high. this makes it necessary to jam the screen up into the adjacent slot in the top of the window frame. this is an extremely tight fit. even then getting the screen frame over the aforementioned rail is difficult.

putting it back is basically the reverse. i did use a hammer and wood dowel to get it free from the channel at the top of the window frame. the whole trick is getting the outside edge inside the window frame.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Don & Robbin
deckhand
deckhand

Re: sliding screens

Post by Don & Robbin »

John,
There is an easy way to remove the screen frame if you ever need to do it again. The U shape plastic on the top and bottom of the frame usually move with the frame. Find something that is smaller than the bottom (or top) of the plastic. A thin piece of a popsicle stick may work. Hold the plastic in place with the stick and slide the frame over it a few inches. Grab the plastic from the other end and pull it out, top first, then the bottom. The frame will fall out. Reverse to reinstall.

I just replaced both latches, and removed / cleaned all of the tracks. I removed the screen frame from the outside but it should work the same from the inside.
Don Sayre
Ripple