Replacing Princess Cooktop with Electric Induction Cooktop

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Replacing Princess Cooktop with Electric Induction Cooktop

Post by MikeH »

Over the summer, I removed my Princess Cooktop and replaced it with an electric induction cooktop. I was motivated by Harold and Trish on Hull #5, who said "it was really easy to do". (Note that Easy Riders is the classic MV 34 model, and some information may not apply to the PDQ Yacht models.)

There are a number of cooktops available on Amazon. My primary consideration was that I wanted something that matched the existing hole size as closely as possible. It's best to pull out your Princess and measure the existing opening - mine varied considerably from the cut-out size in the Princess Manual. Also look out for the max wattage. I wanted 120v, max 1800 watts.

I ended up getting this model (and mounted it sideways): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1

I had to cut the opening to make it a little larger. I outlined the counter-top with wide blue painters' tape to protect the countertop, then marked the cut lines. I took a garbage bag and taped it underneath the opening to catch debris from the cut. Have your vacuum ready - the jigsaw will throw dust.

The counter cut easily with a jigsaw using a wood blade. I also installed little wood cleats (with Liquid Nail) inside the opening, so that the new cooktop would not slide around in the opening. I left a little room for expansion of a hot cooktop.

Once the new cooktop was in position, there were holes exposed from the old safety bar, which I chose not to reinstall. Regular Liquid Nail was about the right color. I taped the bottom of the holes and made multiple applications to build it up smooth to the countertop level. On the final two applications, I was careful to smooth it out, so I would not have to sand.

Then I dropped in the cooktop, plugged it into the microwave outlet, and voila ! I'm ready to cook. (You'll need cookware with a bottom that a magnet will stick to.)

When not using the stove, I cover it with a pad and put my bamboo cutting board over it so I have more effective counter space. Trish has a (neoprene?) pad that she covers her with.

Happy Cooking !
Attachments
stove cutout.jpg
stove.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
ONEEYEDJACKASS
deckhand
deckhand