Restriction in Blackwater Line from Head

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Restriction in Blackwater Line from Head

Post by bjgin »

Having a problem with blackwater sewage from head constantly plugging up in the line from the head to the tank. There seems to be some restriction in the line. Has anyone else had this issue? Tried to pull line out from under the shower, but it won't come.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Restriction in Blackwater Line from Head

Post by duetto »

hi,

your boat is in the year that pdq switched from salt to freshwater heads. which do you have?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

We have a new toilet that is both fresh and salt water.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

ok, i'll ask it differently. was the boat used for any length of time as a saltwater toilet. if the answer is yes, there's a pretty good chance that the combination of urine and salt water has reduced the hose inside cross section considerably. if this is the case, muriatic acid may help but you probably want to think about hose replacement. again, this is if it used to be a saltwater toilet.

james power might have more thoughts on this.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

We spent about 4 months last summer in the Bahamas using the salt water feature. We're putting in some muriatic acid which helps 'some'. May have to take out the hose under the shower but we think it's going to be really difficult to do.

Who is James Power and how do we contact him?
BJ and Ginny Patterson
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

if muriatic acid is helping, i would keep trying it. it might make the hose more flexible and easier to get out. i have a friend who had this same problem on 2004 pdq. he ended up cutting the hose into pieces to get it out. it was packed with hardened buildup.

james power is a former pdq tech guy who is an invaluable resource to this forum. he may comment on your post.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

How difficult was it for your friend to get the new hose in? That's something we're not looking forward to.

James Power hasn't commented yet. We thought maybe he was the former PDQ tech. Got any ideas how we can contact him?
BJ and Ginny Patterson
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

my friend said the big problem was getting old hose out. didn't talk much about the new one going in. i would recommend the raritan saniflex. it is very flexible. i have used it on 2 projects and been very happy.

not sure if james is on forum regularly. try getting to him using forum's private message.

good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

The hose shouldnt be that difficult to replace- connect the new hose(union/tape) to the old hose and feed it from forward to aft. Highly recommend Raritan saniflex hose. You may have to get into the shower and reach underneath to help pull it aft. We have a 2006 so yours could be different…

I did ours solo but a 2nd hand could make it easier.

If it doesnt want to come out you could cut it in several places. You should be able to still push the new one aft, possibly use a fiberglass rod (electricians) to guide it if needed.

Consider flushing with fresh water each time before leaving the boat that should reduce the buildup

Best of luck!
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

Thanks, everyone, for all the info. This is one of our most challenging tasks. Any additional advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi BJ - Replacing this hose was my first job on Easy Riders. The old hose had adhered itself to the bottom of the shower pan. I softened it up a little with a 350 watt heat gun. My Hull #29 configuration may be different than yours. Give yourself plenty of length on the new hose, so it does not kink when coming up to attached to the holding tank fitting.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

He Bjgin,

All good recommendations from the group. Just replaced all the sanitation hoses on another 34 last week and was straight forward. If the hose under the shower stall is giving grief to remove muriatic acid will help as mentioned and have a look for any zip ties that may have been installed on the hose.

James
772-678-2268
Captdaler
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Captdaler »

Hello, I'm a new PDQ owner and would like to upgrade the Marine Head on my 2006. Im upgraded from the jabsco quiet flush (which is not quite at all) to a Thetford EasyFit Eco. I looks like I'll need to increase the size of the discharge hose from 1" to 1 and 1/2. Has anyone else done this and does anyone know what length of discarge hose Ill need to the holding tank. Thanks for any suggestions, Dale
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Welcome aboard Dale!

12’ to be safe, see here:

http://www.pdqforum.com/viewtopic.php?p ... tan#p15998

Doug
MV 34-102. (2006)
Captdaler
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Captdaler »

Thanks Doug ! Got it done! and boy was it stinky - (toilet to tank discharge line)
So glad to have that replaced to compliment the cleaned and rebuild with new motor and seals jabsco quiet flush. $300.00 All in with new Hose, Motor and Seals. Quite a job cleaning the old head with a 1/4 inch of crusty yellow build up (uric acid?) in bottom of bowl and base.