Replacement Northern Lights Generator

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Replacement Northern Lights Generator

Post by John&Ria »

Our PDQ 34 is a 2007 model (hull 111). We learned today that our original 5kw Northern Lights generator needs replacement or a rebuild because of seawater damage within the block (the #3 exhaust valve appears to be the culprit, cause currently unknown). A major local diesel outfit has a new 6kw NL generator in stock, and for a variety of reasons we are seriously considering replacement as the solution to our problem.

The supplier has said the 6kw is similar in dimensions to the 5kw, however they indicate it must be installed with it's own shroud and we are wondering if this is possible given the space available within the generator's existing location. We are interested to know if anyone else in the PDQ community has replaced their 5kw NL generator with the new 6kw model, and if you experienced any issues with your installation.

Any and all advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

John
makala
skipper
skipper

Re: Replacement Northern Lights Generator

Post by makala »

Hi John,

It appears it has been done before (6kw generator) as implied here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3286&p=13513&hilit=6kw#p13513

By shroud do you mean the sound enclosure? If so, you could have the old factory enclosure cut out to make the new one fit since it wouldn't be needed. You will probably have to remove the hatch to remove/replace the generator.

Let us know how it goes and what the culprit was that caused the exhaust valve damage- was it a bad exhaust elbow?

Can you share what a new NL generator is running for these days?

Thanks,
Doug
MV 34 #102
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Re: Replacement Northern Lights Generator

Post by John&Ria »

Doug, things have moved fast since I posted earlier this week. As of late this afternoon a new NL 6kw generator is installed and working on His Idea. This was thanks to the local supplier having a unit in stock (not that common these days I’m told), along with a very competent and efficient diesel mechanic at the boat yard I have used for many years.

Yes, the shroud I referred to is the sound shield. After some negotiation the vendor dropped the requirement that it be part of the purchase. This was fortunate as it is a very tight fit to get the unit through the hatch and into position. I’m not sure how it would be done with the sound shield attached.

The price of the generator was not cheap, with MSRP just under $20k (Canadian dollars - likely somewhat less in the US given exchange rates). The sound shield is another $2600.

I doubt we’ll ever know for sure, but based on initial inspection it looks like the culprit was a cracked manifold, just before the exhaust elbow. We have had a few unseasonably cold periods here on the coast the past couple of winters, and it appears the 60 watt bulb I placed in the enclosure to fight off the cold may not have been enough. Lesson learned - from now on I will be using a proper space heater/dehumidifier for winter use in the generator compartment.

At least my unfortunate experience may be of use to others.

Cheers,

John