Replacement Mattresses

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Replacement Mattresses

Post by dstrecker1 »

I recently read the Newsletter on the replacement trifold mattress. I have not put them in but was wondering about retaining the 1" spring plastic that is under the mattress. I would appreciate any experience others have had with the trifold mattresses.

Dennis and Cindy Strecker
Hull 95
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Replacement Mattresses

Post by duetto »

i'll add to this. we have a 2003. i assume that the bunks on all years are the same.

my questions are: 1) how closely does this mattress match the length & width of the original? 2) on ours, the rear edge has a tapered thickness to match the curve of the hull. how does the new mattress conform? if you're sleeping on the rea, near the hatch, do you feel like you're rolling down a hill?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Post by chrishead »

You would want to continue using the plastic air vent under any replacement mattress to prevent condensation. I don't know anything about the replacement mattress in the newsletter. We do have some Dormeo 2" toppers on our original mattresses. They add to the comfort without making it too difficult to fold back for engine access. But, they probably cost as much as the mattresses in the newsletter!
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
ONEEYEDJACKASS
deckhand
deckhand

Post by ONEEYEDJACKASS »

We used https://www.mattressinsider.com/ custom folding mattress shipped right to you.
Mark & Dea Goldsmith
BLACKBIRD
PDQ 34-114
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

I found the mattress to be good quality. The mattress fits like the old one except for the aft taper. I did not noticed that the taper made any difference. You can’t even notice that the mattress is not tapered when layer out for sleeping. I doubt it will make any difference when sleeping. As far as the engine access for inspections, I find the old mattress is better because when folded it clears the wooden engine cover completely. With the trifold you have to completely fold the mattress into a stack. However if you have to do any work on the engine you do have more room with the trifold and it is a lot easier to completely remove the mattress. I leave the mattress folded when I am not sleeping on the boat. For the price $159 now, it is a bargain.

Dennis
Hull 95
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Diesel Outboards and Sharrow Marine Props.

Post by dstrecker1 »

I know the discuss has come up about replacing the engines. Just wanted to pass on a YouTube video I saw this morning titled “ Sharrow Marine- Showdown in Paradise” by BoatTEST.com. The boat tested was a powercat fitted with outboard diesels. It discussed the problems with replacing inboard engines. I believe the engines were 300 HP diesels and the boat was 50+ feet. The Sharrow Props performance are phenomenal. If and when I need engine replacement I think I might consider outboards.

Dennis and Cindy
Hull 95