New Boat Provisions....

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

New Boat Provisions....

Post by Mishigas »

Hello, We are having hull #68 built and are beginning our provisioning list for her. As I am going thru this excersize a few questions have come up.
With this large beam, What length, quantity and size lines do we need for tying up this boat? What size fenders do you use and where do you store the lines and fenders on the 34? Anyone have their "provision list" available I would be greatful to look it over to see what I'm missing. I can be reached at: kramerservice@earthlink.net My wife and I are starting "the pile" for the new boat... Very excited and looking forward to this years boating season... Sandy K. MISHIGAS
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Post by Gadzooks! »

We use mostly 35 foot, 1/2 inch diameter for tying up. 25 footers would probably do in most instances, but we like the extra as it allows flexibility to meet inconvenient dock cleat placements, rafting to bigger boats, or extra wraps around a timber where there are no cleats. Also consider that you will be tieing up fore and aft to the outside hull, not the hull close to the dock - this allows vertical travel without jerking all the slack out of the line, which is potentially damaging to boat and dock cleat. As for spring lines, the 35' is usually sufficient for both the fore and aft - from dock cleat forward, to center cleat on the boat, to dock cleat aft. We keep lines on top the fuel tank under the foredeck hatch. Fenders go in the starboard hull locker forward, with their lines draped over the hatch support arm for easy retrieval.

We have several three-strand twisted nylon lines, but most recently bought 1/2" braided polypropylene, and like it very much - has a good feel, is highly flexible, smooth to touch, comes in multiple colors, and is considerably cheaper. See internet sites, and ebay.

We use 8"x20" fenders. Also have one bigger one which we hang off the bow to pivot against when leaving the dock.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33