Suitability for offshore service

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Suitability for offshore service

Post by Sno' Dog »

Hello Powercat owners and wanabe's,

In case you're not aware of it, there a new list for power cats, "Power Catamaran World": http://lists.samurai.com/mailman/listin ... -catamaran. You can subscribe, or just read the posts in the archives: http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/power-catamaran/.
Recently, there has been an interesting thread entitled "Suitability for offshore service", even the renown powercat designer, Malcolm Tennant has chimed in. I gather that, while the potential for a capsize exists, there is not a single documented case of a powercat actually capsizing in heavy seas. More realistic concerns seem to be general seaworthiness and range.

I would love to hear from any PDQ powercat owners (either here or on the PCW list) about their offshore experiences. As a future powercat owner, my biggest concern on a long offshore run would be range on the available fuel. What is the longest distance anyone has gone, and what tricks have you learned to extend range? Anyone tried running on a single engine?

I've heard that a 34 Powercat has recently ventured south to into the Eastern Caribbean -- is it "Rhumbline"? Would love to hear that story. We look forward to getting down that way ourselves with Sno'Dog, but it does involve a long first leg from somewhere in Florida. (Unfortunately getting fuel in Cuba is not a present option). From Key West to Isla Mujeres, Mexico is about 350 NM -- and against the Gulf Stream most of the way. Is it doable?

Henry Clews,
future owner of Sno'Dog
Last edited by Sno' Dog on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Re: Suitability for offshore service

Post by Sno' Dog »

HClews wrote: ...I've heard that a 34 Powercat has recently ventured south to into the Eastern Caribbean...
Sorry, I meant to say Western Caribbean -- as in the Yucatan, Belize, Roatan, Rio Dulce, etc.

Henry