BOW SPRAY

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
GEORGE
deckhand
deckhand

BOW SPRAY

Post by GEORGE »

RECENTLY BOUGHT MV32 "DAWN".
HAS ANYONE FOUND A SOLUTION TO THE BOW SPRAY COMING
ON DECK, ESPECIALLY IN CALM CONDITIONS? THE LITTLE
SPRAY RAILS DON'T WORK!
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

can you describe more fully? only time we have spray is into 3-4+ feet steep chop. is your bow down significantly?

john cummings

duetto mv34 #23
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

Post by ELIXIR »

Agree on the little rubber pieces...worthless. They are on the 34 and except in dead calm we get spray on deck all the time. have not heard of anyone mounting serious spray defectors though on these boats. Would likely mean drilling holes in the hole for the bolts which is never good.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

These boat do produce a bit of spray but I don't see much unless I am in 2' plus seas. When running my bow does come up a bit and I can observe spray being deflected to the sides of the hulls. If there is any wind sometimes it will pick up and toss the spray on deck. But unless there is a good chop, I think the deflectors will push some (not all) of the spray to the sides. I would imagine that a larger, repositioned or more pronounced deflector could be designed to help reduce the concern but I am still working on some kind of idea for a winshield washer system. Sandy K.
MISHIGAS PC-34
Milky Way
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Milky Way »

On the subject of spray. I Have been using a triangulated mesh ( the same material as the window coverings). Reinforce the outer edge with canvass. Install fasteners starting at the anchor going both left and right around the inner bow curves and then forward to the furthest point of the inner bow. Notch around the inner bow cleats. The forward fastener should have the capability of undoing when the wave height goes over the front deck and the wind will drive it back on to the deck. This setup catches virtually all the spray up to 3 ft oncoming waves. However going into 5 ft relatively short waves 20 kt. plus winds, there is nothing you can do short of staying at the dock. I am totally impressed how well this boat handles in rough water even at speeds 14 mph. I am running 100 hp and 17 by 16 3 bladed reballanced props with 18 by 12 inch fixed trim tabs. The cost of these spray screens was 100 $ C. Armin Quickert MV34/78
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

We get no spray from the bows in calm conditions and very little in general. I wonder if the new style spray deflectors are available (and retrofitable) to your boat?

Also, how's your trim? I've noticed that boats without a dinghy sometimes look a bit nose heavy. Even with a dinghy, we try use fuel as quickly as possible from our forward tank, our boat seems to trim better - and go faster - once the forward tank is about half full or less.

Henry Clews
mv 87 Sno' Dog