Lightening Protection

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Rejoice
1st mate
1st mate

Lightening Protection

Post by Rejoice »

I recently read a suggestion for providing lightening protection: to wit - get a pair of high quality automotive jumper cables. When a thunderstorm appears, attach one end to the stainless mast and throw the other end overboard.

Has anyone had experience with this or any other way of protecting the cat against lightening?

Regards to all,

Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Nashville, TN
Anne & Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Nashville, TN
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Dave, I think by doing that you potential have actually made your boat more of a "Lightning Target". Lightning is alway looking to go to ground. By dropping a ground (jumpers) into the water off your mast, you may get the strike instead of your neighbors. This subject has been discussed in some other boater site such as "Thehulltruth" etc.. Not really sure if there is any sure bets when dealing with lightning. Perhaps someone with some more "lighting" knowledge will pipe up.
Sandy Kramer MISHIGAS PC34 HULL68
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Dave, you got me thinking about that and did a bit if research. Check out this link,
http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000001-d0 ... 00007.html
It does in fact confirm that by "grounding" your boat you may attract a lightning strike but could avoid electrocution. Two years ago my cousins power boat was docked at his marina next to lots of sailboats, the sailboat next to him got hit by lightning and the streamer lightning hit his boat, trashing all his electronics and wiring. Luckily it did not hole his boat. My logic in all this is stay inside, don't touch conductive stuff, seek shelter if possible and don't be a target. Good question though.....
Sandy Kramer MISHIGAS PC34-68
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Dr. Ewen Thompson is a research scientist at the Univ. of Florida who specializes in lightening protection research. See link below for an in-depth summary of what is actually known about lightening protection from scientific studies (as opposed to the myths, hunches, and hopes commonly circulated among us boaters).

http://www.thomson.ece.ufl.edu/lightning/

Hope this helps the discussion. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Rejoice
1st mate
1st mate

Lightening

Post by Rejoice »

Thank you both. I am looking forward to reading the material.

Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Anne & Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Nashville, TN