Yanmar zincs

Post here issues with diesel engines on PDQ yachts
Bob
admiral
admiral

Yanmar zincs

Post by Bob »

Just pulled my new boat for a bottom job and zincs and found that the props are Volvo but the leg is Yanmar. Yanmar zincs had to have the lip ground off for prop clearance. This doesn't seem right. Were the Yanmars equiped with Volvo props originally? Is there another zinc made for this application and if so does anyone have a source or p/n?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Zincs & Props

Post by SecondWind »

I've been using Yanmar zincs since 2001 when we bought Second Wind. No problems, no mods, 6 sets of zincs. I just recently bought a 15x11 Volvo prop as a spare, since I have one getting thin. I bought it from Bayshore Marine in Annapolis, 410-263-8370. They are the Annapolis Yanmar dealer and do a great job shipping us parts to Florida.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

This is very interesting. The PO also said that she did not have to modify them. I was there when they attempted to fit them and when the prop went on it bound. These are Yanmar dealer zincs so I wonder what is going on. Once the zincs were altered the props went on as they should. BTW I ordered zincs on line for ~$18 ea from http://www.boatzincs.com and it has CM19642002652 cast in the face. They look identical to originals. No intrest in the company but I know the Yanmars were considerably more. I now have 4 spares on the shelf.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

Zincs

Post by halfmoon »

Bob, I had the same problem at last servicing of my saildrives. Had to send the ? Yanmars back and order Volvos. Unfortunately, the yard where the work was done is now another condoville and I can't contact the mechanics who did the work. Are you saying that you now use the Yanmar zincs but have to grind them down to fit?
thanks, Alex Kehayes, 36073
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

The difference I can see betwween the Yanmar and Volvo zincs is twofold; the bore is different and the hole pattern is different by maybe 20 degrees offset. The outside shape is identical. After studying the drawing in the saildrive manual I think my problem may be the spacers behind the props may be missing. They look suspiciously close to the thickness I had taken off the zinc. With zinc in hand the lip that is approximately 1/4" x 1/4" around the diameter is what I had ground off. Looking in my owner's manual the first owner had made a notation showing removal of this part of the zinc so best guess is the yard lost the spacers first time the zincs got changed hence the problem. I won't know for sure until the next time I change zincs but I will purchase the spacers and have them on hand. http://www.boatzinc.com had zincs for $18 where West wanted $45. The zincs that were modified were Yanmar originals but I don't know the cost as it was rolled into a much larger yard bill.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

The problem is that there are two almost identical zincs for the saildrive. The zincs that fit mine are Yanmar Part Number 196420-02640. The other zinc which will probably show up as the "proper zinc" in some books will almost fit but my Volvo props will bind. (I don't have the P/N of the "bad" zinc handy, but I can get it.)
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I'll have to poke around in my paperwork to see if the yard wrote down the p/n on the invoice. This might be the real reason behind the problem. We just brought the boat up from Chesapeake, VA to Rockland, ME last week. Oddly enough we motor sailed the entire way in order to maintain 6-6.5 kts. If you cruise up to Maine give us a shout.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Here's the p/n of the zinc that DOESN'T WORK with my Volvo props: 196420-02652
This will BIND! In a pinch, it could be ground down to work.

We're thinking of Maine this year - late July and most of August. We'll give a holler if we're in Penobscot Bay.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Bob
admiral
admiral

Re: Yanmar zincs

Post by Bob »

I think I've figured out the zinc mystery. I sent a hub out to be re-bushed. It was worth doing as it has provisions to mount zincs to. When I was comparing the hubs it hit me why the common zinc won't fit. The hubs are different! You can see in the photo the right hub has a 1/8" lip at the base and the one that was re-bushed doesn't have it. The solution for the saildrive zinc is simple. I used a belt sander with an 80 grit belt and just shaved a standard zinc down. Took less than 5 minutes. I guess now it doesn't matter which zinc I get as I now have one of each type of hub.
Attachments
zinc.jpg
zinc.jpg (19.4 KiB) Viewed 22848 times
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Bob
admiral
admiral

Re: Yanmar zincs

Post by Bob »

Just an update. I got Yanmar's ear on this subject and got a response to the problem. I don't know if this will be the final answer but it at least explains one scenario.
"I have found the 196420-02640 is for the original SD-20 Saildrive. Since then there have been several output shaft changes.It looks like the 196420-02652 fits the new shaft for the SD-20 A-S Saildrive also the SD-40. It looks like you have two different drives installed in this boat. One possibility could be a repair or replacement of one of the drives at some time. The other possibility is the two drive were at a shaft change time."
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace