yanmar exhaust elbow

Post here issues with diesel engines on PDQ yachts
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

yanmar exhaust elbow

Post by DickTuschick »

A word of caution to all 75hp and 100hp owners.
The exhaust elbow on all engines will fail at some point due to corrosion. A visual inspection on a regular basis will indicate a failure that will progress rapidly if not addressed. New Stainless steel replacements are available on Ebay for $270. (12/10/2014). Water and exhaust fume damage to the engine can be extensive if not caught early.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: yanmar exhaust elbow

Post by duetto »

dick,

what are we typically looking for before a failure?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

This failure is common on all Yanmar diesels, including those in the 32 and 36 sailboats.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

John,
I had 2 failures. The first was a crack where the cooling water tube is welded to the exhaust elbow. Check for cracks in the weld.

The second was the bolts that attach the elbow to the block. They rusted through and allowed exhaust gases into the boat.

Mine were SS but I understand that the cast iron ones are more prone to failure and should be checked frequently and replaced on a regular schedule. Unfortunately I don't remember what the schedule is.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

thanks ron. we have ss.

happy holidays to you and sue.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

We have the 110hp (4JH4-HTE) Yanmars in His Idea, and they have about 1200 hours on them. While in the Bahamas last year the starboard exhaust elbow leaked. Pending our return to Florida this year, as an initial solution we had the cracked portion repaired via welding. So far this has worked fine.

Now that we are back I have been getting quotes for a replacement. The price seems very high - about $1300 (ouch!) from Yanmar dealers in Key Largo and Marathon. This appears to be far more expensive than the other prices mentioned in this thread. I wonder if this may be due to the engine model I have. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had to purchase this part (#129472-13501), either from Yanmar or through a less expensive supplier.

Other suggestions for a solution are also welcome. Thanks!

John
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

We replaced a failed exhaust elbow on our 2003 Easy Riders MV 34 with 75hp Yanmars. Both were SS, but only the Starboard one failed. Decided to replace the port side too, even though there was no sign of imminent failure.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks for the input.

I'm sourcing aftermarket stainless steel replacements too, which I understand will last longer. Unfortunately the price I've been quoted by a supplier from the Stuart area is more than $1400, which also seems very high. I intend to keep looking for more reasonably priced alternatives. If anyone knows of a better source for the 110 hp engine I would appreciate hearing about it.

John
MitchP
deckhand
deckhand

Post by MitchP »

I replaced manifolds on 100hp yanamar with this company in Long Island NY. They redesigned them. The originals were poorly designed. The water jacket wasn't properly welded inside. Best news I think I paid about 300-400 each for SS! I did hand them my old ones to fabricate new. http://www.marinemanifoldcorp.com/ Good luck.
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks for the referral Mitch. That looks like an excellent price for SS replacements, and I will follow up with them.

John
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

when the elbow went on my last boat, with a Yanmar, or the westerbeke before it, I had a welding shop make 5 mild steel elbows using nipples and short sections of pipe to duplicate. The total cost was $200 for all 5. Replace every year, even before failure, and the build-up isn't bad at all. Keep the old ones as back up - you won't have another problem with elbow failures for as long as you own the boat.

Bob gruber
Island Time 32