Batteries

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

Batteries

Post by SteppingStone »

Has anyone had any experience with Gell Cells instead of Wet Cell batteries? Roger Wood
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Roger,
I use them on my PDQ36. I also used them exclusively on my Endeavour 37. No refilling cells, handle vibration and heeling much better, handle deep discharge better. But they require a different charging voltage. New setting on my solar regulator and a new setting on my shore charger. Have not figured how to regulate the charge from the Yamahas so I send the charge to a single wet cell and then use a battery combiner to combine the batteries during charge and split during discharge. The combiner I use can be found at http://www.yandina.com (he builds the same unit under the WestMarine label) and has a limiting feature to limit voltage to gel cells at 14.1V. Check the 'net for lots of good info. Also yandina.com has good info too.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, I've had the same Gelcells since i bought my boat in 1997. I have 4- 6volt that are charged through my iverter. I set the proper charging voltage on the inverter, and since then I have't had to do anything. I have a genset & AC cold plate cold refr, so the batts. never really get low.
I also have 1-12volt gellcell dedicated to the genset, which is recharged by the generator. So far, they appear to be as strong as the day I put them in. After a winter in in the boat, they've hardly gone down.
I hope I have't jinxed myself by praising them too much. LOL

Marc
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi marc,

what make gelcells do you have? are they golfcart (gc2) format?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi John,

They're Prevailer deep cycle. Bought them at WM 1997.

Marc 36021 Here's 2 Life
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

Gell Batteries

Post by SteppingStone »

What should the charging voltage be set at?.. Roger Wood
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I think it was 14.2, but I'll check next time I get to the boat. It's been
8 1/2 years since I set it.

Marc
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Hey Rog,
Practical Sailor just did an extensive evaluation of boat batteries. The report was in last months issue. Send me a fax# and I'll get a copy of the article to you. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Roger,

I use two 4D gell cells (West Marine by Penn). One installed 1995 and the other in 1997. Still going strong (knock on wood) but I am careful to never overcharge over 14.2V or take them below about 50%. I usually run them in parallel all the time for a combined capacity of 360AH. When they are fully charged and I need to run the outboards, I turn on a 150watt lamp run thru my Heart inverter. This "soaks up" the outboard output without overcharging the batteries. Love the batteries!

Chet
Allezcat 36010