Trouble at PDQ ??

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Milky Way
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Milky Way »

Hi, Marilyn and I were somewhat shocked to hear the news, but I am positive that PDQ will pull through. The management and staff were at the top of the Industry and we look upon them as family and friends. Armin and Marilyn Quickert MV41/09 and John Deere.
bobhhprop
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ closing

Post by bobhhprop »

PDQ sold on Thursday Dec 13 hopefully sold as one lot so someone can start manufacturing again
DanRankin
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ Is gone

Post by DanRankin »

I was at the auction on Dec 13th of 2007 and as a former employee and friend it was a sad day for a lot of people.
All the assets were sold and the doors were closed. I was with PDQ for the past 7 years as the ABYC Electrician, Commisioning Team Member,and Options Installer....... if there are any questions that I can help out with.....please feel free to contact me......Til then Happy New Year
Dan Rankin
Ontario Marine Services
ABYC Electrician
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Anyone have a update on whether Rob has been able to find backers to rebuild PDQ?
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

I talked to the owner of Rhumb line (a pdq dealer) at the Boston boat show and he was very optomistic that PDQ would rise again although probably not in Whitby.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Trouble at PDQ ??

Post by Dan White »

Got an announcement from Salwa today that the Antares is being exhibited at the Miami show. Of course "PDQ" did not appear in the note.

Wonder what's up.
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Yes, I also got the email - following back to the web site:

http://www.liveantares.com

It appears that the company may be surviving in some form. There is very little new company info, but the address listed is in Whitby.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Contacted Salwa below was her reply on the status of PDQ.

Hi Phil,

Good to hear from you too. The short version is that PDQ has been divided (both under new ownership) into a sailboat and powerboat division. Rob Poirier, with some investor backing, bought the molds for the Antares 44 and will continue production of that line. Another company bought the powerboat molds. We will be in Miami and if you're in the area, do drop by.

Best regards,
Salwa
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

PDQ Purchased!

Post by ThomKat »

Just got the following from Beth Simkins at RhumbLine NE (PDQ dealer in Boston) ....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally! We just got the word that the ink has dried on the contracts….

PDQ has just been purchased by Pearson Composites of Warren, RI! These are the same folks building the True North, Alerion and J/Boats. As you can image, we are very excited at the potential. Although they are not planning any changes out of the gate, they have huge capabilities! We (RLYS NE & SE) had a great meeting on Monday with Eric Cressy, VP of Sales and Mrkting. It appears they want to keep the momentum going with consistent programs, flotillas, quality, warranty etc. For the short term, pricing will remain at the $379K all-inclusive price. As you can imagine, there is much to learn and iron out but we’ve fastened our seatbelts and believe this will be an exciting new chapter. The first boats should be rolling into Narragansett Bay in August!

This is meant to be just a quick note to get the important info out to everyone. So many of you have been sitting on the edge of your seats. We will be actively displaying in Miami next week and hope to see some of you there. The Pearson guys will be present as well and anxious to meet their new PDQ family of owners.
Tom Walker
ThomKat - MV3475
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Schedule & Sticking To It
Jaap Breugem
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Jaap Breugem »

Just a wee bit of clarification, PDQ did not get purchased by Pearson, only the moulds did. PDQ as it was is none existant and all the employees that worked there are no longer building boats. Let's get the facts straight, these new so called "PDQ's" are just going to be another model build by a totally different builder. I spent almost 15 years working for PDQ and will be very dissapointed if the new builder calls them PDQ's.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Molds and craftsmen

Post by Page 83 »

Hi Jaap. Molds don't make boats; craftsmen make boats. You and everyone else who built our beloved PDQs are the people we reverence. I wish that another boat building enterprise could fill the vacuum in Whitby, but I want you to know that your skills and experience are highly valued by all of us.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

It is understood that Pearson is not PDQ Yachts Inc.. However Pearson has a strong reputation for building a quality boat. With their craftsmen and capitol they just might do a excellent job of creating a line of powercats that many will injoy. I can understand the concern of any original PDQ employees who felt a part of the PDQ family. But this is a business and I for one am happy to see that a reputable builder has purchased the powercat moulds and will begin construction on a proven product. Best of luck to Pearson and all the fine folks who have been part of the PDQ process in the past.
Sandy Kramer :MISHIGAS' MV34 Hull68
Jaap Breugem
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Jaap Breugem »

I have no doubt that the people at Pearson will do a great job building the powerboat lines, I'm sorry if my last post sounded like a shot at the new builders. I certainly didn't mean for it to come across that way. In all the happenings over the last few months it is easy to forget about all the people who lost their jobs, not only PDQ employees but also suppliers who lost a big chunk of their business, some had to close their doors. I understand business is business, but I still believe the PDQ badge should be laid to rest just as the company was. Again I apologize to anyone who took my last post the wrong way.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Jaap,
Can you contact me by private message? I have some work to do on my PDQ in Chicago, and I'm interested in the possibility of having someone who was at PDQ do it, if that's feasible.
Thanks
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
simkins
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ 34 and 41 now in production with Pearson Composits

Post by simkins »

:D The PDQ 34 and 41 will be on display with Rhumbline Yacht Sales at the Miami show this week. Production is planned to resume ASAP with the first Pearson built PDQ floating mid summer.

In addition Rob will have the 44 at the show and will be moving production during the summer to a new facility.

Hopefully some of the team we have come to know and trust will make the move to these new companies. Jackie and James are already supporting the new companies and PDQ.

We will keep the news coming as we get it.