Adler-Barber Cold machine Question

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Adler-Barber Cold machine Question

Post by Kokomo »

I'm sitting here in the AM, all is quiet except the "Cold Machine" running, shutting down, coming right back on, off, on, off, on, and finally off for a few minurtes. I replaced the thermostat last year, and defrosted the box 2 days ago. Does anyone else experience this ? Any fixes, suggestions? Thanks!!!
Roger and Bonnie
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Adler-Barber Cold machine Question

Post by SecondWind »

Roger,

Sounds like a minor overheat problem. Check for dirt clogging the fins on the evaporator. If you have the water cooled variety look for a clog in the line.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hey Roger,

If this is an air-cooled unit, did you check to see if the cooling fan starts when the compressor starts?

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Sunshine »

Roger - Had the same symptons last year (wasn't a cold machine and don't remember what brand it was) As Chet suggested, check to see if the cooling fan goes on shortly after the compressor. In my case, it did not, the problem was the electronic module. The company was out of business and I couldn't find a replacement module. Ultimately, I replaced the whole thing with a Super Cold Machine.

Good Luck,

Bill
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

You can try isolating the thermostat by closing the circuit with a jumper wire. This should rule out a bad t-stat. Also, according to Adler Barbour, the compressor temperature should run hot, but not too hot that you can't hold your hand on it.

I don't know if this is of any help, but it's interesting info (found on http://www.kollmann-marine.com):
Changing the thermostat range will lower or raise the box temperature only if the thermostat is the problem. If you are saying that when the thermostat is set as low (cold) as possible, the compressor is cycling off and on without reducing the box temperature with each cycle, adjusting the thermostat range will help.

Clamping less of the capillary tube under the evaporator will lower the thermostat temperature setting. Removing the tube and letting it hang free will sometimes turn a refrigerator into a freezer. A properly adjusted thermostat range would be to have the desired temperature at mid range 3 or 4 on the dial.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL