Leaking seals.

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
David West
deckhand
deckhand

Leaking seals.

Post by David West »

I have been lucky with my PDQ 36 being watertight for the last twelve years, but last year I had some trouble with water getting in beneath the lateral end of the foreward window of the main cabin. The problem partly results from a small pool of water forming between the cabin roof and the edge of the Lexan window that is applied to it. I solved the problem last year by applying life cauk to the existing sealant and it worked for a season before deteriorating and the problem recurred. I don't know whether to completely remove the lexan window sheet and reseat it over new sealant, or whether if I could just scrape away the existing sealant in the area of the problem and then put some more durable sealant to patch the area. It is a fair bet that some of you might have some experience of this sort and could advise me.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Leaking seals.

Post by SecondWind »

Google: Versachem flowable sikicon. I have used it with some success on leaks of this type. While it is not a permanent solution, it seems to last a few years and is easily reapplied. I've even used it to seal the babystay.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Re: Leaking seals.

Post by Ed Ellis »

My experience that you will have to keep repeating temporary fixes until you pull the window, clean off all of the old bedding(s), and replace all of it with new bedding. Might as well bite the bullet cause sooner or later, you'll have to. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility