Watermaker - Repair or Replace ??

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Watermaker - Repair or Replace ??

Post by Bargain Bill »

I have a PowerSuvivor watermaker rated at 1.4 GPH that needs servicing. Previous owner did not preserve the membrane properly when he stopped using it for a year or more. Have not found any service on the East Coast. Katadyn in Minneapolis MN will check it out, but I'm guessing it'll cost me $500 to get it working again. The low capacity has me concerned that it'll be running all day just to keep up.

Do I bite the bullet and go for a new system? If so, which one and how much will it cost? Typically there are just the 2 of us with 2 guests about half the time.

Thanks for your input

Bill Carlson
Easy Riders PDQ 34 #029
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Watermaker - Repair or Replace ??

Post by SecondWind »

Bill, We have the same unit. I would replace it with something that makes 8 gallons an hour or so. Look at Spectra, most PDQ'rs seem to like them. Cost???
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi bill,

we have a couple of different friends who have the component version watermaker from little village and both had excellent results. i believe that it's a 7-8 gallon/hr.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Bill, we have the Spectra 150 (150 gallons in a 24 hours period). It produces out just over 6 gallons an hour (75 degree F water), consuming 1 DC amp per gallon. With our 85 gallon water tank, we are able to take homestyle showers and fill up the water tanks every few days in 12 hours. It's very quiet, reliable and simple to use.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

When I had our 36, I had a Spectra 150. We used it extensively in the Exumas with success. Using the Honda 2000 and charging the batteries every day and a half, we made plenty of excellent water (4 hours...25 gallons). Expensive though...about 5 grand. There is no way you can rationalize it on a cost basis but I got real tired of hauling 50 lbs of water and then still having to be careful not to use too much.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Whoa!!
5k incremental investment seems like a lot given the incremental gain. I'd LOVE 8gph, but I guess I need to see if I LIKE the 1.4gph. Refurbish it is.
Thanks for your input people. It was most helpful in making a decision.

Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi bill,

we have an alternative to the water lugging that ron mentioned. we got a bladder, ours is 10 gallon. we have a water pump with a hose fitting which mates to fill on bladder. made up a cigarette lighter adater for power.

process works like this. bladder goes in dinghy and we go to a faucet within our hose length (this is the big restriction on this). fill bladder and return to the mothership. connect bladder to the pump which has output going into tank. turn on pump and empty bladder.

as i said it eliminates lugging 40+ pound water jugs. downsides are 1) you need a faucet within hose length of your dinghy 2) there is a "setup cost" to get everything out, but once you do it is easy and effortless.

anyway, food for thought.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23