Bahamas Insurance

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Bahamas Insurance

Post by Bargain Bill »

Just found out that Nationwide Insurance will not cover my PDQ 34 outside the U.S. They offer no rider or coverage for the Bahamas where I plan to be Jan - Mar 2010. Has anyone researched the options for coverage there?

Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Bahamas Insurance

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I used to have State Farm insurance on my boat. They had a no charge rider for the Bahamas. It was much less expensive than the insurance I have now but I don't think they really were good cruising boat insurers.. i.e.. no provision for fuel spills.

You can get a quote from the folks I use

Douglas Cabral
JSM Brokerage
631 765-2777

Mine is about $2700

It is interesting... you are the second person today that said their insurance carrier was dropping boat insurance.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

BoatUS charges a $100 rider above your premium for the Bahamas. It can be renewed or dropped every year. They don't insure beyond the islands though.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

Have no idea if Safeco will issue boat insurance for the Bahamas, or who your local agent would be, but we've been very happy with their handling of our lightning strike. Might be worth getting a competitive quote.
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Keenan Marine only charged $80.00 for Bahames endorcement. Great folks to work with. Ph 800-892-1554. Catherine was very helpfull, and got my papers to me real quick. There insurance is way cheaper than Boat US. Roger Comer
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

I pay less than $800 / yr from Nationwide.
Agreed Value = $180k
Deductible = $1,000 per occurrence
Liability = $300k

I'm trying to get a rider from another company, but I haven't found anyone who would just add a rider to my current policy. They all want to sell me a 1 year and I hate to give up Nationwide at $800 for a company that charges $2,700/yr. Any Suggestions?
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD