Shrink wrap vs Custom Tarp

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Shrink wrap vs Custom Tarp

Post by MagicDragon »

Hey, folks - we are inviting feedback about pros/cons of each option. Magic Dragon will be stored on the hard each season for the next 2-3 years during our Cleveland winters while we explore the Great Lakes. We've got dirty soot but no leaves on top of lots of cold rain & snow in the downtown area where the boat is stored, though it's not too difficult to clean up each spring. We're also dealing with a 14 year old boat that was not well cared for before we bought her so we are still working away on the oxidation to the gelcoat that's already there.

Cost to shrink wrap each year is over $400 and we found we could get a large flat canvas tarp custom cut and sewn for $1000. Shop owner wanted us to design what we wanted, but I'm trying to talk him into going down and taking measurements and making suggestions, especially regarding the right frame. Also, don't know where we would store that big piece of canvas each year when not in use - maybe it would fit in one of the forward lockers? We have to tell the shop if we want the tarp sewn to allow for mast up or down - I'd really prefer to have either option available - suggestions for design of the tarp, anyone? Thanks in advance as always,
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: Shrink wrap vs Custom Tarp

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We "just" had ours shrinkwrapped but only because this is the last year we plan on having our PDQ anywhere near snow! If we were going to be around for a while like you, we definitely would have went with a custom tarp.
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

To wrap or not to wrap...an ageless question! In my case I've defaulted to shrink wrapping her as a preferred if not more costly solution (in my yard we are held hostage to the tune of $1200 to shrink wrap with the mast up). My primary concern with Boston winters is the snow load and the detrimental effects freezing and thawing. In my opinion shrink wrapping is far and away the simplest and most effective way to minimize these concerns. I've spoken at length to a few custom canvas shops who generally will charge $3000 - $4000 for a custom "tent" (note this is not a full enclosure) which will not provide the kind of coverage/protection I'm looking for!
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I find that an off the shelf tarp works just fine on my PDQ32. I simply throw it over the bimini and pull it forward around the mast. The sides get tied down to the stantions and a few sand bags hold things in place where the wind might otherwise get under the edge. I buy a tarp that is white and light enough to let a little sun get through so my solar panels still keep the batteries topped up. The tarps only last a couple seasons but at less than $50.00 I can afford to replace as needed.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I was sent an email from Sailrite about building your own canvas cover. Here is the link just in case anyone is really motivated.

http://www.sailrite.com/Photo-Project-Made-5
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

We had our boat shrink wraped last year for $50 mast down. They said it would be less expensive with the mast down. Well, crane time up and down -$250, labor to go with the crane $$150 but the kicker was I had to put new backstays on in the spring because unnoticed by me they stripped the turnbuckles and buggered the threads on the stud - another $1,000. So this year we are doing it our self. We have a slight advantage because we went to school last winter to learn canvas work. We have done some work for friends and after the boat came out of the water finally got around to starting ours. But I digress. We have a hard bimini so here is my plan. I bought a silver tarp from harbor freight. We will use plastic strapping to form most of the frame. Then we plan to fit the tarp over the frame sewing darts where needed. I saved my old entrance door from last year's cover and have some tape for the purpose. I'm most concerned with water and freezing around the salon windows so as long as I get them and the cockpit covered I'll be happy. I bought a small tarp to try cutting and sewing and feel good with the results. My wife and I could not tear the stitching out. We have an industrial sewing machine but I think a good home unit could handle the job. I'll take some photos when I do the job this weekend weather permitting.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

In Herrington Harbour North its $20 a foot to shrink wrap the entire boat ($720.00 for a PDQ36). We decided to go with semi-custom tarps from http://www.tarpsonline.com/white.asp. That way it looks okay and we save a few hundred to pay for future projects or waxing in the Spring.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

Eric's suggestion for an inexpensive white tarp was the direction we chose for this year: $180 plus some cheap line to keep everything tight against the hull. It was very heavy and awkward to get it all spread out and tightened down - took us several trips and hardware store runs. We did need to "hippie-rig" a few vertical supports to eliminate the areas where the tarp sagged down and snow would have accumulated. I'll post some pics and a report as the season progresses.
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We opted to just have to cockpit area shrink wrapped. I got this job done for 250.00 cash:

This is how Katana's previous owners had the job done:

The same guys who did the job above initially quotes me 900.00 plus taxes to do it like that!
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Shrink wrap vs Custom Tarp: Just did II the Max

Post by maxicrom »

M & R,

For $250 you got a good deal, it looks like you have a hard top model which saved you from building a complete frame over the top. We have a Bimini and with the last snow here in DC 22" even though I cleared snow about every few hours we still split a zipper. We are staying aboard this winter so we needed easy access for the dogs getting on and off.

I have an old sail cover for winter and after securing the boom in the center built a 3/4" PVC frame over the boom securing it to the cabin toip rails (I cut channels in 3/4" T fittings and they "clip" on the handrails nicely as a base mounts for the frame). Securing the shrink wrap under the grab rails holds the frame down tight. I only glued the top section of the frame over the boom where I could not reach once in place, all other joints are duct taped so they can be disassembled and re-used. The shrink wrap closed nicely around the boom sealing off the front of the cover (the frame runs just aft of the cabin top ports to over the stern rails). I would say that the whole cover cost about about $175 and we were lucky that one of the marine companies were working nearby and flame gunned the shrink wrap for us in about 30 minutes (it would have taken hours with my heat gun and a hair dryer). If anyone is interested I can post some pix.

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

Thought I'd add an update on our personal attempt to "do it yourself" and save money. The tarp was strong and not too difficult to work with, but we found it impossible to eliminate all the bellies after six different trips. We used lots of framing, took off all the life lines, etc. etc.

On Lake Erie, with our winds and snow load (think "lake effect snow") it is imperative to shed water and snow because the weight accumulates quickly and rather surprisingly! As soon as we got one belly eliminated, the freezing rain and heavy snow would have created a new belly in a different area by the next trip down to offload gear. Very frustrating, especially as the weather got colder and wetter, and the tarp got stiffer and stiffer.

Finally, in cold and miserable frustration, we removed the tarp and gave it away and asked the yard to shrink wrap. We were the last boat wrapped (it was freezing!) and I admire the guys that do this work with a whole new understanding of what it takes. She's safe and sound now, professionally wrapped and dry underneath, and we learned another valuable lesson from the "School of Hard Knocks".
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH