Use Auto Lens Refurbish on Port Lenses ??

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mat0jab
1st mate
1st mate

Use Auto Lens Refurbish on Port Lenses ??

Post by mat0jab »

Has anyone tried one of the many auto headlight refurbish kits on their Beckson port lenses? I wonder how they would work on them…

Comments or Thoughts anyone ?
Mark Thomas
s/v Whistler II
PDQ 32 LRC #41
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Use Auto Lens Refurbish on Port Lenses ??

Post by amytom »

I did it and it worked wonders. Not brand new quality but definately worth it.
mat0jab
1st mate
1st mate

Post by mat0jab »

Which brand did you use ? Was it one the ones where you use the sandpaper ?

Thanks
Mark Thomas
s/v Whistler II
PDQ 32 LRC #41
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I can't remember the brand. Something like blue magic or similar. It is basically a polishing compound used with rags for about 10 bucks.

Check out this post viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1746&p=5502&hilit=+lens#p5502 to see the difference it made.

I've also seen that Harbor Freight has a kit attached to a drill for about 20 quid.

Good luck.
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by fredandkathy »

I just finished doing all my opening windows with 3M headlight reconditioner and it worked great. My lenses were bad, very bad, with no visibility at all. Afterwards, I would say at least 75% restored, maybe better. The process involves three sanding grits and a polish coat. On the first lens I used all the processes on both sides but I could still see some of the grinding swirls which clouded the lens. On the next lens, and all thereafter, I skipped the first rough grit and applied the remaining processes to the outside only and only the polish on the inside. That worked extremely well, much better than the first lens, and saved a lot of time. I'll go back over the first lens with more of the finer grit as recommended and see if I can improve it. I used slightly less than two kits at about $20 each to do 11 windows. I still have enough to do my headlights now. The kits can be purchased at auto supply stores (Napa was mine) and the owner advised me beforehand that although there are several products, 3M was the best.