Recommendations for mid-Bahamas boat layup?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Recommendations for mid-Bahamas boat layup?

Post by Bargain Bill »

The trip south has been great, but rather than turn and head home we'd like to store our MV34 somewhere in the mid-Bahamas and continue our journey south in the fall. Prefer to have it hauled and blocked, but would consider a dock. Security is important. Any suggestions?

Bill & Fran Carlson
MV 34 Easy Riders now in the Berry Islands
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Re: Recommendations for mid-Bahamas boat layup?

Post by holomoku »

Hope you find something and keep us posted.
Plan to be in the same situation in the future.
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Post by windrush »

Definitely interested in what you find out too! Would you have to get an extension on your cruising permit?
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

It is likely that you will have to pay the 7% import tax on your boat if you leave it for longer than a year. You might also need Bahamian registry. You should check this out with the Bahamian government before you commit. There is a yard in Nassau that does this, but I don't recall the name. It is within walking distance East of Yacht Haven.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Thanks Terry.
I'll be in Nassau in a week or so and will check out the yard you mentioned. I'll also check with the government to clarify the rules/regulations they impose. I'll post my findings.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Visited marinas in Nassau. Did not find any that provide dry storage. Boats are hauled, maintained, and put back in the water - - dry space is at a premium. Dock space for storage was cheapest at Nassau Harbor Club, if you can call $1.50/ft/day cheap.
I did find a dock at Sandyport, about 6 mi west of Nassau Harbor. Enter under a fixed bridge with about 18' clearance. The slips are too narrow for a PDQ, but the dock perimeter wall is fine. If they have the room to squeeze you in its $350/mo. No power and no water but I did give the manager, Charlene Kerney, a financial incentive to run extension cords to 110v to top off the batteries once a week.
There are marinas on the south coast of New Providence but I did not get to check them out and there was almost no info about them in the guidebooks.

Easy to get cruising permit extended for up to a year from time of entry. Beyond that the Gvmt will be looking to collect a tax, or a $500 "renewal" fee. Better to leave and re-enter and get a new permit for $150

Bill Carlson
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Almost sounds like we're better off sailing back to Florida and laying up there?????

Thanks for the research and all the info Bill.