Propane solenoid / detector / CO, etc.

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Propane solenoid / detector / CO, etc.

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi everyone

It's slow here these days so I thought I would spring another one of my endless questions on everyone. :)

I have read several people mention having a propane detector in the galley, and have seen marine ones at the chandleries. Our PDQ 32 Altair Classic does not have such a thing, although there is a solenoid switch by the stove. Can someone explain to me how that works? How does it protect us? Do I need a detector? Like many of you I'm sure, we also have one of the on-demand hot water systems in the galley.

Also, on the subject of detectors, we do not have a CO detector anywhere on the boat. Do we need one, considering the engines are in the cockpit? If so, where would you install it?

Thanks,

Mike
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Re: Propane solenoid / detector / CO, etc.

Post by Allezcat »

Mike

I put one in our 36 years ago. I think it is a Xintex.

The sensor is at the floor(deck) level in the galley with the control panel at shoulder height. The panel allows turning the propane off electrically at the tank using a supplied solenoid (12V). If the sensor detects propane in the boat it closes the solenoid, triggers an audible alarm, and turns on a warning light.

This installation gives me peace of mind. As you know, propane is heavier than air. If a leak allows it to accumulate undetected in the bilge or hull, all you need is an ignition source and XXXXX.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Look down low, on the bulkhead near the floor, for a small red mushroom. One on each side.

Regarding the CO detector, I added one when I installed a propane heater ($20 Home Depot battery powered thing). The only other concern is the stove (keep a window cracked when cooking for more than 15 minutes) and perhaps a galley instant hot water heater. I read of a near-fatal accident on a Gemini caused by the propane fridge, so that too is a possibility. I like the CO monitor, particularly because I sleep on the boat in the winter, with her buttoned up tight.

The engines I am not concerned about.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Propane detectors are always a good idea when LPG is installed on board. Same thing for CO2 detectors. Although your engines are aft, watch for back drafts or a boat ideling next door. Propane detectors should be installed low in the hulls. CO2, because its about the same weight as air, can be installed around chest height, away from "dead air spaces" or hatches.

Hope this helps. James
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I believe James meant CO detector, but I could be wrong.

CO is slightly lighter than air, CO2 is slightly heavier. Both can be toxic, though CO is many times more dangerous and is generally what is monitored for. As suggested, I mounted mine at chest level, near the head, since my heater is on that side.

So much global warming talk gets us all mixed up. :?
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks for the hlp so far guys.

I'm not on the boat at the moment so I can't check to see if I have the red mushroom shaped things that Drew is suggesting. If they are there that would be the sensor I assume?

If they are not, what exactly does the solenoid switch that we do have do, except act as a switch for me to turn off the propane? Will it trip by itself and if so, what would cause it to do so?

If there is not a sensor can one be wired to the existing solenoid switch or would I need to purchase an integrated unit?

Any ideas on how to check these things to make sure they are functioning?

Mike
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Your right I meant CO. The solenoid installed on the PDQ's are as you mentioned, an on / off switch controlled manually in the galley. The only way they are closed is by turning off the switch at the galley or if the power is interupted, as a safety measure. There are units that will trip automatically when propane is detected such as a Triton Marine 1300-7760. If going this way I would replace the solenoid at the same time. The easiest way to check if the soleniod is working is to turn it off while the stove is on. The flame should stop after about 3 to 5 seconds. James
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thank you James, and others. Yes, it does function in that way. I will look into the sensor/solenoid options that you mentioned.

Mike