I locked myself in my boat!

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

I locked myself in my boat!

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Seriously guys, it isn't even funny!

We launched a few days ago and are docked with the afternoon sun hitting the cockpit. In the mornings the main salon door opens just fine. The last two days, after having the sun on the door all day, I have had to unscrew the door latch just to get out!!!

I have heard that if the rigging is too tight it can cause the boat to "flex," making the doors fit improperly. It doesn't seem too tight to me although I haven't checked it with a gauge (I don't even know what a gauge should read if it is tuned properly).

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

No laughing!!!

:)

Mike
Last edited by mikeandrebecca on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: I locked myself in my boat!

Post by amytom »

If it makes you feel better I got myself locked inside Daytona Beach International Airport. I was working on a baggage CT scanner and made a late night of it. When I tried to leave the doors were all locked and the overnight deputy was sleeping somewhere. I had to dial 911 just to get out; that was a fun call to make. :oops:
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

That helps in a "made me smile" kind of way, but didn't really fix my door dilemma. :)
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

More to the point, my door sticks a little also. I think my problem is with the latch though.
Anyone know a less expensive place to pick up a replacement latch/lock mechanism?
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

That is definitely where it is catching the most. When it is stuck I can flex both the bottom and the top of the door out. The catch area will not budge!
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Have you tried just loosening the harware and shifting the latch over a bit? There may be some slack in the mounting holes.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Yes, and no. Loosening the hardware from the inside is the only way I could actually get out! There is no real slack in the holes though. When it is tightened up it is solid in that spot.

I appreciate the help. Thank you.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

Yes the lexan expands when in direct sun. Our door sticks when hot but a full turn on the latch and a firm tug will get it open. You might just want to file off the tip of the latch.
Henry
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I posted this on the Katana blog, but it sounds common and worth repeating here.

When I got mine, the latch was a battle. Got locked out a number of times. Almost cancelled the sea trial. I took off the striker, carefully chistled FG away under it, and replaced the striker. No more troubles in 18 months since.

It could be rig tension. However, it could also be seasonal swelling and that the fit is simply too tight.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I had visions of phoning my wife to come save me. You just know I would NEVER have lived that one down. :)