Window Replacement - Help Please!

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mikemak777
1st mate
1st mate
Location: Dana Point, California/1996 32 Classic "THIRD WISH"

Window Replacement - Help Please!

Post by mikemak777 »

Hello to all -

After spending an hour using my best attempts to search the archives, I've been unable to find a past discussion relating to salon window replacement. Given the age of most of our boats, I would think this would not be such a rare issue. Has anyone replaced their black acrylic salon windows?

Can you recommend a source for the acylic?

Any tips to share with regard to installation?

Thanks for your help,

Mike.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Re: Window Replacement - Help Please!

Post by Allezcat »

Mike,

I just replaced all the fixed windows(10) on Allezcat, a PDQ36 hull#10. They are 11.25"X26.25" with 3.625R corners. I supplied an engineering type drawing and specified 1/4" dark gray acrylic(Plexiglas) with round over edges. I used Plastic Specialties of Florida, Naples, Fl (239-643-0933). The windows cost $35.95 each plus 6%tax.
To bond the windows I used Sikaflex 295UV, 209D primer, & 226 cleaner. This was quite a job but the finished windows look great and do not leak. I did use 1/8" rubber washers as "stand-offs" to give a 1/8" gap betweeen window and hull. This allows the window to expand and contract with temperature changes and not break the seal. I can give you more details if you decide to try this yourself. Please note that these were all flat windows, not the formed windows used on later boats. If you contact James on this forum, I believe he can direct you to a fabrication shop for custom formed windows. Best of luck.

Chet White
mikemak777
1st mate
1st mate

Post by mikemak777 »

Allezcat wrote:Mike,

If you contact James on this forum, I believe he can direct you to a fabrication shop for custom formed windows. Best of luck.

Chet White
Thanks you so much, Chet, for this most useful information. I really appreciate your help.
Do you have more information as to contacting James ... what is his member name?
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

Mike - search this forum using "replace ports" or "replacement ports" and you'll find plenty of entries. One of those is a response by James Power - his user name is the same, and you find him and send him a private message by searching under the Members tab in the upper right of the screen. Good luck - we had several of ours replaced by a boat yard in Oriental NC before we brought Magic Dragon home. When I get back home, I'll send you a private message with some research I did after we paid to replace ours and were unhappy with the work done. good luck! AB
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Mike,

If you are going to do them yourself be sure to check that the mounting screw holes are not stripped out. If there is a stripped screw hole you have two options 1. Fill and redrill or 2. Use an oversized screw so that it will bite. You don't want to over tighten as it will crack the acrylic but it does need to be firm to make a good seal and hold the port in place. When we did ours we had two cracked ports and it was cheaper to have 4 made than just the two we needed. It was a few years ago so my memory is lapsing here - but if I'm not mistaken on our model 91' PDQ 36 classic the forward ports were a slightly different size. I brought the originals to the plastic shop in Annapolis to use for templates - I think they were around $45 each, we had them drill/countersink the two we were replacing, and bevel and polish the edges which gave them a professional look.

Good luck,

Mike
Last edited by maxicrom on Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
mikemak777
1st mate
1st mate

Post by mikemak777 »

Thanks Angela and Charlie and Mike for your input.

Siince my original posting, I have learned some information that some might find interesting. I had made an inquiry to a facility in Canada that responded:

Hi Michael,
We were the manufacturers of the windows for the PDQ 32 from 1996 to 2003 when the discontinued the model.
Unfortunately when PDQ was dismantled and sold the molds for the 32 and 36 were accidentally destroyed before anyone realized what had happened. We currently manufacture the windows for the Antares 44 ( PDQ44) .
However if we had one set of the windows ( damaged windows are ok ) to get the shape so we could make new moulds we could definitely make a set . The cost of the moulds and patterns would most likely not be charged to whomever supplied the set of windows to make the moulds .
We also have the ability to provide installation in North America .
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
Yours truly,
Ellis Oishi
Mas Precision Plastics Inc.
elliso@masplastics.com
1-800-648-8433
905 665-0996

I spoke to Ellis today and he is a very nice fellow. He mentioned a few interesting things of which I wasn't aware. Apparently, the later 32s did not have screws holding holding the windows in place like the earlier boats. I suppose this is probably true for the 36s as well. He also mentioned that four of the nine windows are molded to the shape of the cabin. I suppose having pre-molded windows would be more critical on the later boats that don't have screws around the windows. He thought the four molded windows go for $2K and the whole set for $3,800. He will let me know the actual cost after he does some checking. By the way, that is for the 3/8" (9mm) acylic windows. When I asked him about using abrasion resistant polycarbonate windows, he said the cost of that material was much higher and the material was much more difficult to shape.

I have screws on my '96 and am finally happy to see an advantage of the Classic over the Altair -( but I sure would love to have that taller mast!) I think I will be going with lexan windows, 1/2 inch thick (I was told that it doesn't come in 3/8"), with the abrasion resistant coating. A 4' x 8' sheet goes for $475 here in So. California, and the coating is an additional $160. I haven't done the dimension calculations as yet, but I am thinking it wouldn't take more than two sheets. I'll be checking out the material on Wednesday to see if the 1/2" material can flex adequately to handle the curvature issue. I'll post my progress if anyone is interested.

Mike
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

Mike,
We are cruisiung the Sea of Cortez right now but when we get back I have the name of a guy in So Cal that did our boat.
Let me know if you still need a source.
John & Regina
'DreamCatcher'
mikemak777
1st mate
1st mate

Post by mikemak777 »

Hi John,

Great hearing from you. Yes, I would like info on guy that did your windows if you are happy with his work. Do you recall what he charged? I'd rather pay someone if the price is right then do it myself. Please give my regards to Regina. Let's get together the next time you are in So. Cal.

Mike.