Sail reconditioning

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Sail reconditioning

Post by fredandkathy »

Does anyone know of a good vendor that professionally cleans, repairs and reconditions sails? Our original mainsail (1995) needs some work. I checked the internet and found Sailcare located in PA but not much else. Any referrals would be appreciated.
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Re: Sail reconditioning

Post by MagicDragon »

We found a company that does this while visiting the Annapolis Sail Show, but then our sail repair yard suggested another company and I think they did ship them to PA. Our experience with cleaning our old sails was not a good one - the season after this was done, we had seams rip out of the main sail and the genoa several different times. This required removing the sails and taking them to the same sail repair shop several times that season. This also happened after I had our canvas bimini top dry cleaned last year. I read somewhere afterward that the detergent used can contribute to deterioration of the thread used for stitching the sails.

Once that deterioration was repaired, we were good to go for another few years. Now, instead of sending them out for cleaning, I have our sail yard do any repairs and then I take the sails home and spread them out on the lawn and spot clean any stains with Simple Green and then rinse really well with the hose. The sun dries the water, and then we fold and store off the boat for the winter.
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Sail reconditioning

Post by fredandkathy »

We received our newly cleaned and repaired main back from Sailcare in PA. They did nice work and I think at a reasonable price. We had it cleaned, repair holes, resew insignias, and sew in leech line overlay as the major items (there were others) and cost was about $600 including shipping. Should get another 5 - 7 years out of it. Nice company to deal with on the phone as well.