Too fast to lower engines?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Too fast to lower engines?

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Silly question #548: On several occasions we have wanted to lower our engines but the boat has been going to fast for them to lock into place. Any suggestions for dealing with this?

Note: We have manual-tilt yamahas.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: Too fast to lower engines?

Post by doubledutch »

As long as they drop far enough to be able to draw cooling water you can start the engines. Once you put them in gear and bring up the revs they will lock. Of course if you are sailing at speeds greater than the motors can manage this won't work. Under six knots you should be ok.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I am of the firm opinion--and a few PDQ owners will back me up I am sure--that there is no good substitute for lifting the lid each time and making SURE they are locked down. I had one come up with such violance that it broke off and impedded a part of the cavitation plate in the underside of the deck!

If you are not going too fast, it is certainly practical to push the engine cover down with one hand and pull the locking lever up gently with the other. The only way to be certain. Though your latches are working well now, it is very likely that over time they will become stiff, and they are very difficult to free-up.

Slowing down helps too.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I have not pushed them down although I expected that might be one solution. We understand the need to slow down but on a few occasions when going down wind, it has been difficult to get our speed slow enough for them to drop and lock, even after furling the genny all the way in. I hadn't considered starting them without them being locked.
charlie phillips
deckhand
deckhand

Post by charlie phillips »

Mike and Rebecca,

We own 32046 (good view of Katana's bum on the production line) and had the same problem, as well as the whole latch thing issue. Like Drew, we lost part of an anti-cavitation plate when in reverse. Also, like Drew, we concluded that opening the hatches each time we lowered the motors was necessary to ensure latching. It is especially irritating for the starboard engine, where the open cabin door interferes with the hatch. I finally decided to fix the problem for good and installed a 2 line raising/lowering/locking system. I think a few others have done this as well.

There are two lines, one for raising and one for lowering/locking. Both have 2:1 purchase, so the lowering line works well for getting the motors down while moving under sail. I disabled the latch so we don't need to open the hatches to raise. The cleated lowering line is strong enough to keep the motors down under maximum reverse power.

This has turned out to be one of the best mods we have made to our 32. It was more work than I thought (did it while in the water) but not too expensive. I'll try to publish the details later. Right now we are scrambling to get ready for a 30 day cruise up to the San Juans/Gulf Islands. Leaving this Sunday.

Charlie
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Charlie,

We did the same thing but without the 2:1 (now I'm stuck as the official "engine hauler"; maybe I'll add the 2:1 when I see your pictures)

We recently learned that the cleats are not through bolted. I was coming into the dock and trying to pivot the boat when the port cleat gave out. Luckily I shut it down before the lifting line got tangled and also luckily I had two great kids at the bow to catch us coming in too quick.

I'm replacing both cleats with new ones and these will be through bolted with either fender washers or backing plates behind the cabin lockers.

Enjoy your trip.

Tom
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Sounds great guys. I would love to see details, pics of this. Thank you.

Have fun on your trip Charlie!

Mike