Chesapeake Marina Haul Out/Store - PDQ 36

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Chesapeake Marina Haul Out/Store - PDQ 36

Post by holomoku »

Hi All,
I’m looking for recommendations on a marina for haul out and winter storage on the northern Chesapeake for my PDQ 36.
My current marina cannot haul a cat due to width.
I’d like to stay within reasonable driving distance so I can do some work on the boat while it is out.
I live north of Baltimore so something north of the bay bridge would be ideal.
Of course cost is always a consideration too.
I bought this boat back in February down in North Carolina and, after upgrading engines and batteries, sailed her up the intercoastal to the Bay in May.
I’m just starting to learn where things are around the Chesapeake so I could really use some help from those of you who have been sailing the bay for a while.
I did contact Pleasure Cove Marina in Pasadena and they are checking to see if they will have room.
I’d like to check out some other options as well.
Thanks,
Spencer
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Re: Chesapeake Marina Haul Out/Store - PDQ 36

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi Spencer, I hauled out for several years at the Charlestown marina, across from Northeast, MD, on the Northeast River.
Another place to try would be Markleys Marina on the Middle River. Both of these places could haul you.
Before you commit to a place, go and measure the travelift, and slipway yourself. They never seem to get it right.
Marc
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Those would be good options for me based on location.
I will check them out.
Thanks for helping narrow my search Marc...it is a big time saver.

Spencer
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Marc Gershel wrote:Before you commit to a place, go and measure the travelift, and slipway yourself. They never seem to get it right.
Marc
By the way....I've found that there is a "ruler" tool on Google earth that is not bad for measuring travel lifts.
You can zoom in on your target marina, set the ruler to measure in feet and click on both sides of the lift or slipway to give you a rough estimate.

Give it a try with a marina that you are familiar.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

When we purchased our boat it was at Worton Creek marina which is not too far from Chestertown. The former owner kept in on a mooring during boating season and on the hard over the winter. We did our survey there so I know the lift is wide enough. For us living between DC and Edgewater we find Herrington Harbor north in Deale convenient, with easy access to West Marine(s) one onsite, riggers, a hardware store in town, and Annapolis about 35-40 minutes away. Both places seem to be pretty secure.

Mike & Linda
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I use Markley's every year for my 36 -- no problem.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

This one is too far from Baltimore, but of interest to Annapolitans: Gingerville Yachting Center just installed a travel lift and Bay big enough for a 36. Its a small marina, but protected from winter storms, and they have a very cosmopolitan view of owner maintenance and outside labor. Not very expensive either. Its just under the Route 2 bridge over the South River in Edgewater. Check them out at http://www.gingervilleyachtingcenter.com .
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Thanks for all the reply's everyone.
I've been to Wharton Creek by sail but it is alittle far for me to drive.

When I called Markley's, (would be closest for me)They told me they couldn't haul my 36 due to 18.5 beam. Said their max was 18'.
Strange. I may need to call again or go by and see them.

I got good response from Herrington North. About an hour and half drive so not ideal but possible.

I will check out Gingerville as well and Charlestown
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Call Markley's back and tell them they have hauled my boat for at least 3, maybe 4 years and yours is the same. (Feel free to tell them my name) Unless the large lift broke they should be able to do it with no problem. I believe the owners's name is Miss Connie.
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Thanks Dan....will do
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

I got back in touch with Markleys and spoke to Ms Connie. She confirmed with her son that they can do the haul out on a PDQ 36. That solves my search for a place so thanks everyone for the help.

Dan,
What sort of blocking did Markleys use on your boat? Jack stands under the bridge deck per the PDQ manual?
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

It was always for just a short term,(2 weeks) so they just put wood under the keels.
Joneses
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Joneses »

Just an FYI after-the-fact, since I didn't see anyone had mentioned it: Tidewater Yacht Service Center at Port Covington Marine Center in Baltimore is very familiar with the PDQ 36, accomodates it easily, and does good work if you need it.
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Joneses wrote:Just an FYI after-the-fact, since I didn't see anyone had mentioned it: Tidewater Yacht Service Center at Port Covington Marine Center in Baltimore is very familiar with the PDQ 36, accomodates it easily, and does good work if you need it.
Always good to have options....thanks for the info!!!!