PDQ Work Tour 2011

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
James Power
admiral
admiral

PDQ Work Tour 2011

Post by James Power »

Hi All,

With the first snowfall of the year up here on Georgian Bay means its time to start organizing the annual PDQ Work Tour. We will be in Florida come the New Year, then make our way up the eastern seaboard towards Annapolis in early spring. If there are any items you would like us to help out with, you can send a private message thru the Forum, email us at james_power@rogers.com, or call us at 772-678-2268.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable holiday season with health and happiness in the New Year.

James,Jackie and Mike
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ Work Tour 2011

Post by Mishigas »

Hi James, I know I am on the list for when you come thru Maryland on you way back north. My service list is forthcoming. Regards, Sandy Kramer MV MISHIGAS :mrgreen:
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Have a great trip. We'll see you when you come through. Let me know that dates when you know, and I'll have the house empty for you.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Sounds good Guys. I'm in Argentina with Antares Yachts for the next few weeks so lets recap in mid December when I get back.

James
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

I'm not certain what this work tour is all about - being relatively new to this awesome forum.

However, we would love to meet other PDQ owners. We're in West Palm Beach - have a mooring just south of Peanut Island. While we'll be (hopefully) in the Bahamas until mid-January, it would be nice to connect if possible.

Gary (& Margi)
s/v Inspiration
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Gary and Margi,

The PDQ Work Tour is something that has evolved after the closing of PDQ. My wife Jackie and I had the great opportunity of spending 6 months a year for 7 years traveling up and down the Eastern Seaboard dealing with any warranty issues with the new PDQ’s. In the 16 years that I was with PDQ my job involved the making of moulds, cabinetry work, boat assembly, launching, commissioning, rigging, and sea trials. I was also involved with teaching at the PDQ universities and travelling with the various flotillas. We now offer such services as repairs, trouble shooting, operation and maintenance training, as well as new equipment installations. A service that I highly recommend is our complete vessel inspection. This entails going over the boat from top to bottom, bow to stern, checking the condition and operation of the various systems. Over the years I have seen the importance if this service as preventative maintenance, especially in areas with historical issues. We have spent time in the West Palm area while cruising on our own boat and look forward to crossing paths some day.

James
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

James - That inspection sounds exactly like what I've been thinking we needed before heading out on an extended cruise next winter. Something else you may have some ideas about - I get water in the aft water-tight compartments (where the rudder post goes thru. We had a thread about the problem in this forum, but never figured out what caused it. Although it definitely is linked to being in wavy conditions.

We are just south of West Palm, but the boat is currently on the hard in Stuart (maybe make the inspection easier?)

Gary (& Margi)
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Gary,

Sounds good. When you get a chance, email or call me with your phone # , boat location, and a list of any other issues. In the mean time I'll go thru my old work notes for your boat when she was "Spirit of Piedmont". James
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Hi Gary;

Just to comment on your water tight compartments - I have hull 49 and had the same problem. James fixed/resealed the inspection ports and I ensured that the drains in the gutters around the hatches remained cleared, and the problem was mostly solved. I went from a few gallons of water a season to ounces a season in the compartments.

Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
Annapolis, MD
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Work TOUR

Post by Ross Bowling »

When you get close to San Francisco Bay, let me know. I am sure that I could find some things for the two of you to do! :-)
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Ross,

We will put you at the top of the list if we get around to a PDQ World Work Tour.
James
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

eepstein wrote:Hi Gary;

Just to comment on your water tight compartments - I have hull 49 and had the same problem. James fixed/resealed the inspection ports and I ensured that the drains in the gutters around the hatches remained cleared, and the problem was mostly solved. I went from a few gallons of water a season to ounces a season in the compartments.

Eric
I think this is something more. Although it's difficult trying to find gaskets for the inspection ports as they seem to be an odd size. So any pointers would be appreciated. However, what I've observed is that the boat can sit at the mooring for 2-3 weeks even with heavy rain showers and have no/very little water in the compartments. Then I go out sailing in 4'+/- seas & I get a significant amount of water in the compartments.

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
Charlie34E
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Charlie34E »

James- Please tell me I am not too late- as I was last year- to get on your list!! I am the lucky captain of Elixir- hull #63-2005 with Yanmar 75's. It is at Isle of Palms marina, SC, and we live about 50 yards away. Needs the full bow to stern inspection as well some definate maintenance. For example- clean heat exchangers, speed seals on water pumps, etc. I will send you the list if I can get on yours!! I am putting on 4 bladed props and having the bottom redone this spring-- point being is whether you would prefer the boat in or out of the water. We have plenty of room for you both and would really be honored for y'all to stay with us.
Thanks!! Charlie and Jackie
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Charlie and Jackie,

Sounds good. An inspection out and in the water would be ideal. With Elixir out of the water gives us a chance to inspect the running gear, hull bottom, maintain the seacocks, etc. In the water allows us to check the operation of the various systems. You can email your list to james_power@rogers.com . We look forward to spending time with you and getting aboard Elixir again.

James and Jackie
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

GaryWizard wrote:
eepstein wrote:Hi Gary;

Eric
I think this is something more. Although it's difficult trying to find gaskets for the inspection ports as they seem to be an odd size. So any pointers would be appreciated. However, what I've observed is that the boat can sit at the mooring for 2-3 weeks even with heavy rain showers and have no/very little water in the compartments. Then I go out sailing in 4'+/- seas & I get a significant amount of water in the compartments.

Gary
I found it was when the gutters clogged from bird dropping, etc, that it happened. The rest of the time it was fine. Also, at our mooring the water drained well and did not build up around inspection ports. Hope that helps.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
Annapolis, MD