Florida Docks/Slips/Moorings/Anchorages

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Florida Docks/Slips/Moorings/Anchorages

Post by Bargain Bill »

Any suggestions for your favorite places to stop for a week or so as we cruise from Stuart to Key West and the Dry Tortugas ?
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Florida Docks/Slips/Moorings/Anchorages

Post by GaryWizard »

I'll take a shot at a few places I'm familiar with.

West Palm Beach - inside the PB Inlet & then south of Peanut Island there is a good anchorage area with various places you can take a dinghy ashore.

Ft Lauderdale - Inside at Port Everglades, North along the ICW under a bridge, around a bend & to your starboard is an entrance into a secluded bay area that's a good anchorage. About 2 miles from the inlet (I'm guessing).

Miami - inside Gov't Cut, bear south to the commercial channel (the only one you can use most the time) & then to port along the inside of Fischer Island has a decent over-night anchorage.

If going part way inside - thru Biscayne Bay - there's lots of good places along Elliot Key or Further south, Pumpkin Key has good holding & you can keep the island between you & the wind/seas.

Heading to the Dry Tortugas, lots use Boca Grande as an intermediate anchorage. However, it can be crowded & there is a strong tidal current. A few miles west are the Marquesseas - with a shallow draft boat, it's easy to find a protected spot from all winds except south ones. It's also quieter & the tidal flow isn't as pronounced.

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Thanks, Gary. I'll probably try several of these.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

Bill,
It turns out that our boat will be on the hard for a while yet unfortunately. We have a mooring about a mile south of the PB Inlet that you're welcome to use if you plan on being in this area for more than a couple days. My contact email is garywizard at yahoo if you're interested.

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47