Jiffy reefing - new lines?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Jiffy reefing - new lines?

Post by mikeandrebecca »

For reasons unknown to me, when we acquired our PDQ 32, the line for the 2nd reef was too short (a couple of feet). I want to run new lines and after doing a bit of reading, it seems there are actually two separate lines in play here. The longer of the two I can see how to re-run (I did it yesterday actually by sewing the ends of the lines together). The line at the front of the sail (luff) appears to be tied (secured) inside the boom. As luck would have it, this is the one that is too short. How can I change it?
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Jiffy reefing - new lines?

Post by James Power »

Hey Mike and Rebecca,

The forward reefing line is secured to the car that travels inside the length of the boom. The easiest way to access the car is to remove the aft boom cap, and pull the car back with the aft reef line. The cap will be secured with torx head bolts or rivets. If removing the car completely from the boom, watch that the car or the boom cap are not spun, as this will tangle the reef lines. Also keep an eye out for the 4 car wheels that will fall off as the car is removed.

Hope this helps. James
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: Jiffy reefing - new lines?

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Awesome. That is perfect. Thanks James!