Bullet Zincs

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Bullet Zincs

Post by Bargain Bill »

Checked the zincs I installed 5 months ago. The flat rudder zincs were fine, but the bullet zincs on the prop shafts were gone - - bolts and all. While talking with a diver who checks/replaces zincs several times a week, he said the first part to be sacrificed was the part that is pinched between the bolt head and the prop shaft. This is also the part of the zinc with the least material.

When installing my new bullet zincs I used a 1/4" longer stainless bolt, a ss lock washer, and a large stainless steel flat washer that covers the entire butt end of the zinc. I'll let you know how this works out.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Bullet Zincs

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

There are several threads in the Powercat section that deal with reversing the direction of the bolt and using a locknut to secure the zinc.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Re: Bullet Zincs

Post by Gadzooks! »

I lost a bunch of the propnut zincs before switching to the recommended method of reversing the bolt to threaded end aft. Haven't lost one since over a course of 1000 miles or so.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33