Traveling with firearms of any kind

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Traveling with firearms of any kind

Post by billp »

I am curious if anyone knows about the current state of traveling the ICW with any sort of firearm aboard. We're headed from Florida to Annapolis on the ICW in a week or so, and I wondered what issues (if any) would arise if I were to buy a gun in Florida and bring it north on my own boat.

My question is about traveling on waterways through FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD rather than asking about any real or imagined need for self-defense purposes. I'm not looking to start a debate on that issue!

I appreciate any comments. Thanks. BillP
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Traveling with firearms of any kind

Post by amytom »

That would depend on a few things.

1) what kind of gun?

2)do you have a concealed carry permit?

3)from what state?

You might run into difficulties buying the gun in Florida if you're a Maryland resident. Even the rules at gun shows state that sales can only be to FL residents. Does anyone actually check? No.
It would be easier if you "inherited" a weapon in Florida from an estate and were transporting it home.

BTW The only state that is likely to give you any trouble is Maryland, the other states are firearm friendly.
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

Thanks, that what I wanted to know. MD is a pain in the ass when it comes to so many things!
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

Post by halfmoon »

On our way from NC to Chesapeake Bay, last September, we were boarded by the Coast Guard. Their first question was "do you have any firearms aboard." After my "yes" answer I was asked to direct them to the location of my FNH 5.7 but not to handle it. They secure all weapons, then inspect the boat. There were no questions about my ownership or "right to carry" the firearm. NC Fish and Game inspectors have asked for documentation and safety items, but never asked about firearms. I don't know about other state's inspectors.
Alex Kehayes
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

BillP, yes Maryland has some unique gun laws and I sugest that you visit this site: http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html or visit the NRA site for additinoal info. If you are looking to 'carry" a concealed gun on you (in port and off your boat) you would need to acquire a concealed carry gun permit. The florida permit is good from Florida to Virginia but does not recip to MD or points north. If you simply wish to posses a firearm on your vessel, I would make sure it does not fall into the "Assualt" catagory that is prohibited to posses in some states. Otherwise I would simply keep it in a safe and secure condition and not worry too much about it. Safe Sailing...Sandy K MISHIGAS :mrgreen: