Zincs - sheered bolts off:(

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Zincs - sheered bolts off:(

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Has anyone, other than me, ever sheered off the bolts holding the zincs onto the yamaha 9.9s? I broke the first one off when tightening on the new zinc. The second broke off when trying to remove the old zinc. It really didn't feel that I was turning them too hard. Perhaps I just got excited because I was in the water. :( Now I need to figure out how to remove them. he broke off remarkably clean.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Zincs - sheered bolts off:(

Post by maxicrom »

Mike,
Have had similar issues with dis-similar metals and salt water corrosion. First off, it's most likely going to be a PIA - especially with the limited access you have. The positive is that if the bolt broke off clean when you were installing it then it's not frozen in place (yet...) the neck of of the bolt was just weak. Easiest solution is to use a reverse drill bit - this will sometimes spin the broken bolt out as you drill. If that doesn't work use a bolt removal tap in the hole and spin it out that way. The first step is to use a small center punch and set a pilot mark dead center of the bolt. Sometimes you can use a punch to spin the broken bolt out of the hole enough to grip the bolt but I've found small bolts in aluminum housings can mushroom the end and make it tighter. But patience is a virtue and sometimes you can just tap it out slowly (sharp punch with a small hammer). Once the broken bolt is out it's a good idea to run a tap in the hole and blow it out, then use a new bolt in with a good coating of anti-seize. Note - drill bits and extractors are hardened steel - so if they break off in the bolt you have a real project getting them out - slow and gentle is the way, if it binds stop use more WD40 or...

Here's some links...

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-s ... 40349.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-l ... 95146.html
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks Mike. I just had to use a similar setup to remove the bolt that sheered off of our jib traveler. I sure hope this is easier. I'll be waiting until I pull the engines, that's for sure!
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Considering the tendency these things have to seize, it seems like a poor design. Through bolts would be better and easier to maintain.

You could simply drill a hole on each side and bolt through the wing.Some contact surface would need cleaned off. I would clean off an area around both ends of the bolts, apply grease, and crank the bolts. If there is a down side to this or expereince in the group regarding why there could be a problem, please ring out. IF I shear a bolt, this is my plan. After all, shaft zincs simply clamp on.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Good thinking Drew.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Zincs - sheered bolts off (Fixed :) )

Post by maxicrom »

The only downside is a slight disturbance in the water flow across the fin - probably won't be noticeable. When was the last time you got ZTC on a plane? if it were for your dinghy, where every little bit counts, you might want to have a solution that is a little more aerodynamic. The little tab on the zinc also helps to offset the prop spin to run straight - which again is not an issue on ZTC since the motors are fixed and you steer with your rudders. If you need a project you could file the edges to flow with the fin - you'll probably need a couple of cold ones on hand to support the effort.

Btw: How well did your baby oil protection work? Great pix... truly roughing it!

Mike & Linda
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I can tell you honestly that with the exception of changing the bolts out for some shorter ones, I will be giving that zinc project absolutely no more of my time. Way too much invested thus far. As for the baby oil, it worked very well. Clean up was a snap. For those who aren't sure what we're talking about, we had a bit of an issue the last time we changed our motor oil...

:)
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Cheers,

glad to see you're both having such a tough time... :D
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Once upon a time, long ago when I was a youngster in the engineering business, we had a tank cleaning job, a 10 million gallon tank large enough to hold 2 soccer pitches. The lead operator started to walk the tank, which had a few inches of black oil on the floor, to estimate how much sludge there was before starting. And then he vanished.

I had warned him about the location of the pump-out sump, but he had blown me off, saying it couldn't be as deep as I warned.

Fortunately he had a harness and retrieval rope and kept his mouth and eyes shut. No harm.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html