MYSTERY MAST WELDS - EXPLANATION PLEASE!

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
mikemak777
1st mate
1st mate
Location: Dana Point, California/1996 32 Classic "THIRD WISH"

MYSTERY MAST WELDS - EXPLANATION PLEASE!

Post by mikemak777 »

Hoping someone here can help me with this.

This seam and spot welds are on a 1997 Altair 32. (my 1996 Classic does not have anything like this)
Obviously mast has been sleeved. The seam around the mast is approximately 2 feet above the boom.
Mast is made by Offshore Spars.
I'm wondering if these welds are by Offshore Spars or are indicative of a later repair.

Does anyone's mast have these welds in this same area - especially those with an Altair 32?

Thanks for your help - Mike.
Attachments
DSCF0103.JPG
DSCF0103.JPG (123.67 KiB) Viewed 9706 times
DSCF0104 - Copy.JPG
DSCF0104 - Copy.JPG (105.18 KiB) Viewed 9702 times
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: MYSTERY MAST WELDS - EXPLANATION PLEASE!

Post by thinwater »

More likely this is a tall rig and it has been extended (normally the extra material is added at the bottom. What is the mast height?

It is not a repair; if a deck stepped mast failed, it would not have failed there.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
mikemak777
1st mate
1st mate
Location: Dana Point, California/1996 32 Classic "THIRD WISH"

Post by mikemak777 »

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure of the mast height.

This is a boat I am seriously considering buying but these welds look peculiar to me. This type of welding just doesn't seem original by design. It is an Altair with the taller mast, but I am trying to determine if this is normal for the Altair mast. This boat is an early 1997 when PDQ went with the taller rig. I would think that they could have manufactured the taller mast without a splice. Or, they could have made the splice higher up the the mast out of one's direct line of sight. It just doesn't look right to me and I need to find out before I go through with the purchase.

It would really be nice to hear from someone who has an Altair, especially an early 1997. Anyone?
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I just talked to Dan Hofmann about this. He owned an Altair of that vintage. He agrees that it is a result of the tall rig and was probably from the factory that way.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

The extrusion process used to create the mast blank is not a continuous process. There is a maximum length the extruder can produce usually set by external considerations such as the size of the building, the amount of material that goes into the process, etc. There will be a weld when two extrusions are joined to make a specified length, and the weld is possibly hidden by subsequent anodyzing, but may become visible after years of weathering. This joint is not in a dangerous area, nor are the filled holes necessarily stress concentrations. If they were, they would show stress cracking visible to the naked eye.

But of course, you should be looking at a 36.... :D
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

This is a fairly common situation--I have seen this on other PDQs and Stilettos also. Unless there is a strong vang--no vang on the 32--there is very little stress in this area. As Page 83 indicated, look very closely for cracks; if there are none by now, nothing to worry over.

I have
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html